Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Which attractant to aid Game Camera? >

Which attractant to aid Game Camera?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which attractant to aid Game Camera?

Old 07-29-2003, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default Which attractant to aid Game Camera?

I have a game camera but get few pics on my lease. Part of the problem is, I live in Florida and hunting is not that great. Second, my lease is a cattle farm which means lots of cow pastures vs. the cover desired by bucks. I would like to do some things that might help me get a few more pictures. I thought about dropping corn near the feeder but unless they get used to it, the deer don' t know what it is. Further, since this is a cattle lease, much of what I put down will get eaten by the cows. I have heard some discussion about digging a hole and burying corn or other attractants, but don' t know much about it. I thought such a method might help reduce the consumption by the cows and the attractant will stay around long enough for the deer to find and I will get good photos.

Any ideas? Given the low deer density, I need a method that will allow the attractant to work for five or more days and spreading something on the surface doesn' t seem to work too well. Cows find it faster than the deer.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:23 PM

Default RE: Which attractant to aid Game Camera?

What I plan on doing within the next week or so is making 2 or 3 synthetic scrapes with Hawgs Buck Fever products, and situate my camera between them. I know your thinking that its way to early for scrapes, but the Buck Fever pre-post rut formula has been proven to work year round. Their' s is a synthetic product that does not biologically break down. It actually conditions deer to re-visit your site. I have NEVER heard a bad word about this product. I have posted the link many times on this site (and so have others), but here it is again:

http://www.hawgslimited.com

If nothing else atleast check out the video for $10!
Old 07-30-2003, 01:00 AM
Spike

I live in where deer numbers are low. I put deer cocain out last year they have a 2 foot deep hole dug. I have got 48 deer pics in the last 2 weeks. most of the time you could hunt here all year and only see 1 or 2 deer.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Tealboy, I' ve been planning to call you but keep putting it off. We' ll get together soon I hope. Now regarding your situation, my suggestion is to buy a couple gallons of molasses at the grocery store and pour them down the side of a couple trees (or on some tree stumps) near your camera. The idea is that the wind will carry the smell and draw the deer. Secondly, go to Outdoor World and buy a few bags of Buck Grub and pour it on the ground around your site or sites. They love this Deer Grub and cows just don' t get the hang of it as fast as the deer. Good Luck and let me know!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:46 PM

i would say food, or what deer around here like alot is like a mineral in a bag called " Deer Cain" its a white powder you pour on the ground with some water it comes in water forms too but i like the powder better is seems like it draws them more try that out its aroun $15 a bag
Old 07-30-2003, 11:27 PM

As far as the eatable lures go, the drip lick from walmart, which is a burlap sak filled with minerals. You hang the bag in a tree, and when the bag gets wet, the contents turns hard, and drips on the ground creating a mineral lick. Do that and at the same time sprinkle the powder formula of " deer cane" around directly under the drip bag. I dont bother adding the water. After the first couple of rains in the area.....IT WILL BE TORE UP by deer!! They will dig the ground up and eat the soil. Either of the products used alone will have some results, but together they are awesome. The drip bag comes in different flavors, I use acorn flavor because thats mainly what deer eat round here. I once had a spot where the hole got to be 5.5 feet around, and atleast 2 feet deep. hundreds of little rocks were laying all around it where they kicked them out of the way!
Old 07-31-2003, 07:29 AM

molasses at the grocery store and pour them down the side of a couple trees (or on some tree stumps) near your camera. The idea is that the wind will carry the smell and draw the deer
I tried that method and got pics of 22 raccoons, and 2possums.
If there are any spots on the lease where the cows dont go then I would just throw some corn out. If not try the deer cocaine , etc.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:35 AM

Try mixing a little molasses and corn together.... I used that once for hunting and saw many deer!!!
Old 08-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

The deer cain sounds like a convenient alternative so I might give it a try. I tried Citrus Pulp and it worked pretty well but I got a lot of pics of cows. Something that gets buried will probably help minimize cow pictures. Molasses is well known by cows and hogs on my property (ranch uses it to supplement cows) so that probably won' t be a great choice.

Any other choices would be appreciated.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:26 AM

tealboy ; all these ideas are good,the only problem is anything that deer eat the cows will eat also.
can you put a couple strands of barbwire around a small spot??it only takes 30' square.
I have one place that has cattle on it (did have two,but they moved the cows out).I use corn only,the cows will get a little,but it being scattered over a large area the cows don' t bother me much.of all the pic' s I have there are cows in only two of them.
As for the deer taking a long time to find it ; and not knowning what it is,it only takes one time for them to see it and then they eat it.
Try the wire feed station,two strands will stop the cows,put something that smells to get the deer to come from down wind.
Good luck.[:-]