Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer feeder...

Old 07-27-2003, 11:36 PM
voz
Fork Horn

Default Deer feeder...

I' m interested in building a feeder that holds several bags of corn....I was thinking of using a 55 gal drum and some pvc. I figure the drum will hold lots of corn and the whole setup shouldn' t cost much. Anybody else build their own feeder?
Old 07-28-2003, 07:29 PM

Default RE: Deer feeder...

I have built about 10 this year. I see you are from Texas so you should be able to find the right things.

We use Cotton Picker Grease Barrells. Most farmers have tons of them laying around and want to get rid of them. Most of them, not all of them have rings on the lids so that you can take the whole lid off. Some just have two holes on them and this would make it really hard to put corn in. I put some cardboard in the barrel and set it on fire. This burns the grease out. We just put a small 2in or so hole in the center of the bottom and use self tapping screws to mount the moter on the bottom.

You can buy legs for them at cabelas or basspro but we built some frames for it that stands them about 6ft off the ground. But that takes a little time and a welder. A 55 gallon feeder will hold about 7 or eight bags of corn. This will last for a long time.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Here is my homemade deer feeder:
Cost about 20 bucks
Holds about 75lbs of corn
Old 07-31-2003, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

zing what looks cool, how long does it take to build one?