Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent

Old 07-22-2003, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scent

im with rack attack. garlic breathe and mint gum still equals stinky minty garlic breathe. and as far as pee goes i believe unless its banked off a leg or something for scent is all the same.enough of the wee wee talk! did you ever smell that isle in wall mart. peeeee youuuuu
Old 07-22-2003, 03:46 PM

Just my theory. I in no may claim this to be fact. I am going to do a little testing this year though.

Deer can smell danger even before it is spotted. They run from dogs, coyote, wolf, humans, and I have even seen them run from a racoon. I have never seen a deer run from a horse or cow. Now this does not just occur at the mature adult level of deer only. This occurs at any age. Deer have a very small brain and are not capable of complex thought patterns. So here is my theory.

Years ago the government tested a device that would detect the scent of a meat eater. This could prove useful if the enemy was vegetarian. If this is possible, maybe the deer detect meat eaters as a scent trigger for danger. They run from dogs, coyotes, humans, etc which are all meat eaters. They do so without seeing them. A cow can tromp through the woods and will only move deer if they come in close contact. I have seen cattle and deer feeding with in 20 yards of each other in a pasture.

some say that the reaction to the scent is a conditioned response but why then don' t deer run from cars along the road. Many, many, many deer are killed by automobiles.

I am going to eat vegetable for 2-3 weeks before season and see what happens.

Now this is just my theory. I would love to hear your responses.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:01 PM

Buckskin, I can' t wait for your results! I have heard others state the same theory as you did - that the amino acids in meat products give off distinct scents through a predator' s skin, and by eliminating meat and meat products from one' s diet, one' s scent would be detected as non-threatening to a vegetarian. It' s just a theory so far, and I would love to try it myself - but I have not the will power, and salad and potatoes just wouldn' t be the same without the meat and gravy. Good luck, and don' t forget to wear scentlock - remember; fiber + veggies = GAS!
Old 07-22-2003, 04:10 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Interesting thread. I go through the ritual of washing clothes in scent free detergent, shower with scent free soap, scent free deoderant, etc, etc. Last year I was visiting with a close friend and fellow bowhunter, he also happens to be the most successful bowhunter I know. He is in his early twenties, has taken several P&Y deer, and has taken a buck every year with a bow since 14. He hunts exclusively from the ground, stalking, still hunting and setting up on trails. I asked him what he used for scent control he said nothing, I asked what he washed his hunting clothes with, he said Tide or Cheer or whatever mom has at the house at the time.[] Is all the trouble we go to really worth it?
Old 07-22-2003, 04:17 PM

Like others have said, I belive total scent control is a must. I use attractant scents as part of my routine....I believe it gives me a little edge that just might pull that big buck into range.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

I' ve never been a big fan of cover scents, but am a sucker for attractants. This year however, I think I' m going to go more " scent-free" and use the attractants around the time of the rut.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buckskin You had me scared there for a while , thougt you were think' n about rolling in something before hunting . Last year while hunting Pa I put a drag rag out about 200 yards from the stand with doe in estrus pee walked to my stand and hung it in a tree 15 yards away , about 2 hours later a nice 7 point came right in following my path . He did' nt have his head down or was he sniff' n but I have to think the rag did it . Man did he taste good . I do wash in sent free soap , sent free antipersperant , rubber boots , sentlock ,exc. This year I' m useing vanishing hunter from hawgs lmtd. , 2 things I forget about all the time and we should all try to remember are , 1 my release , and 2 my leather wallet . They both stink bad , vanishing hunter is the only thing Ive found that takes the smell away from these things , it works great . Ive used sent away from hunters specialties in the past and it works farerly well but this vanishing hunter stuffs got it beat .
Old 07-23-2003, 01:31 PM

if you got cows on the farm you hunt.if you got rubber bootsorjust regular hunting boots i always just find cow crap and just step in it it cover your sent on your boots.works for me.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I' ve had some luck with cover scents , but scent reduction works the best of anything that I' ve tried so far . Cedar and fresh earth seem to work best around here for cover scents . Hunting the wind always helps , but sometimes it just ain' t possible . I do use food scented attractants such as persimmon pulp and acorns to attract does , and does attract bucks like nothing I' ve ever tried .