Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunting bow - help me decide! >

Hunting bow - help me decide!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting bow - help me decide!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:08 AM
Spike

Default Hunting bow - help me decide!

I've been off of work this week and without anything else better to do I am thinking of changing out my hunting bow. Currently I have a 2008 Reflex Super slam with a QAD rest, trophy ridge micro sight and alpine stabilizer. This has been a good shooting bow for me but with all the new technology out there I am thinking I would like to try something else.

I have seen a good deal on a like new 2008 Bowtech General (with new updated limbs), also an 82nd airborne and a Mathews switchback XT, do you guys think this would be a good idea or should I stick with what I have? What would be a fair price to ask for my Super Slam?
Old 12-29-2010, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

Im a little confused.. I guess cause your talking about buying a new bow from the same year as the bow you currently own and shoot. I cant speak for the Reflex bows but id imagine if you say it shoots well then the other competitors from 2008 arent going to be a massive improvement. And you said all the new Technology, if you got a 2008 Bowtech or Mathews you still arent getting all that new Technology. I would try to shoot some brand new bows and decide whether its worth the money to switch.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Spike

I had seen some deals on CL for some good used bows and that's what had got me started. The Reflex super slam was a middle of the road bow and I was looking at the higher end bows like the bowtech and mathews and was wondering if it would be a smart move or not figuring they are quieter and probablly faster. If it makes sense I was considering selling my Reflex, put in a couple hundred and buy another bow, it almost looks like I should shoot the new 2011s instead...

Last edited by zilla24; 12-29-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah i would shoot the 2011s or maybe the 2010s, i mean you might be able to find a good 2010 bow used for fairly cheap relatively speaking. I mean as far as the stuff you have on your bow you can keep it all and use it on the new bow. I think your going to get a lot more new technology and speed and quietness if you go up to at least 2010, or a lot more of what i think your looking for. You just got to figure out how much speed and noise and all that you want.. Cause man things sure have changed in bows in last 2 years.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by crenshaw
as far as the stuff you have on your bow you can keep it all and use it on the new bow. I think your going to get a lot more new technology and speed and quietness if you go up to at least 2010, or a lot more of what i think your looking for. You just got to figure out how much speed and noise and all that you want.. Cause man things sure have changed in bows in last 2 years.
+1, you also have to factor in that now that new bows are getting real world usage speeds closer to IBO spec's because of their efficiency rates. My monster 6" is IBO rated for 350fps i'm getting 325fps with a 28" lenght and 64lbs draw and 342gr arrow.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some bows I would take a hard look at that you might be able to pick up used would be BowTech Captain, BowTech Destroyer 340/350, Hoyt Alphamax 32/35, and/or a Hoyt Maxxis 31/35 Good Luck!!

Dan
Old 12-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default the Worst Assignment for Mankind . . .

is to tell an archer to go out into the world and pick out a new bow.

I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot arrow, unless it was my own new bow. Been through that pain more than once.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:28 PM
Spike

It is definitely a tough decision that's why I put it out there. I was really thinking used just for price reasons but its probablly better to shoot a few new ones and go from there. The wife isn't going to be happy about this!