Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
West Kansas Whitetails? >

West Kansas Whitetails?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

West Kansas Whitetails?

Old 12-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Fork Horn

Smile West Kansas Whitetails?

I 've got a new place to hunt about 8 miles north of Brewster Kansas. Does anyone hunt in West Kansas? and are the quality mature whitetails in that area? On google earth I see a river running through the property but havent actually got to see the land yet. Doesnt look like to much woods there. Anyone know that area at all? I dont mule deer hunt much. Like I said I'm more concerned on the quality of whitetails in that area. I 've hunted north central Kansas and loved it.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hoyt21
I 've got a new place to hunt about 8 miles north of Brewster Kansas. Does anyone hunt in West Kansas? and are the quality mature whitetails in that area? On google earth I see a river running through the property but havent actually got to see the land yet. Doesnt look like to much woods there. Anyone know that area at all? I dont mule deer hunt much. Like I said I'm more concerned on the quality of whitetails in that area. I 've hunted north central Kansas and loved it.
I guided a bit last year about 20 miles east of there near Oberlin. Not many whitetails at all, but god the Muleys are gigantic. I did see some mature whitetail bucks, and a couple were giants. From what I found, the whitetails stay on the creeks and the mulies get up in the canyons and yukka plants.

How much land do you have access to? If the creeks are thick and not overgrazed by cows, they will hold deer once the crops are cut(whitetails mostly, but muleys will be in there too). When the cows get in there, they move somewhere where the cows are not but stay along the creeks.

Biggest whitetail I saw while up there was pushing 170", biggest muley was over 200" fairly easily with trash. Go up there around March 15 and walk that creek bottom. You should have good luck with sheds around then, we found 39 sheds in 1.5 days, but we had over 8,000 acres to look for them on.

Last edited by gbrownlee; 12-29-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by gbrownlee
I guided a bit last year about 20 miles east of there near Oberlin. Not many whitetails at all, but god the Muleys are gigantic. I did see some mature whitetail bucks, and a couple were giants. From what I found, the whitetails stay on the creeks and the mulies get up in the canyons and yukka plants.

How much land do you have access to? If the creeks are thick and not overgrazed by cows, they will hold deer once the crops are cut(whitetails mostly, but muleys will be in there too). When the cows get in there, they move somewhere where the cows are not but stay along the creeks.

Biggest whitetail I saw while up there was pushing 170", biggest muley was over 200" fairly easily with trash. Go up there around March 15 and walk that creek bottom. You should have good luck with sheds around then, we found 39 sheds in 1.5 days, but we had over 8,000 acres to look for them on.
Brewster is alot further than 20 miles from Oberlin...i live in Oberlin. Brewster is more like 70-80 miles from Oberlin. Tough whitetail hunting around Brewster...I did some guiding for a farmer in Brewster named Keith Horney...mainly was a pheasant operation but did do some whitetail hunts. Either way, its kansas..there is a chance for some really nice bucks there..just gonna take some work!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tyrone33g
Brewster is alot further than 20 miles from Oberlin...i live in Oberlin. Brewster is more like 70-80 miles from Oberlin. Tough whitetail hunting around Brewster...I did some guiding for a farmer in Brewster named Keith Horney...mainly was a pheasant operation but did do some whitetail hunts. Either way, its kansas..there is a chance for some really nice bucks there..just gonna take some work!
Gotcha. I was just going by what it looked like on the map. I've never been to Brewster, and was actually hunting closer to Rexford and staying in Oberlin. I was on Brent Phillips ground if that means anything to you. Good property, tough year with all the crops last year.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:15 AM
Fork Horn

I have 8,000 acres and 30% of it is crops mainly corn and milo.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd Love to Chase Mulies there!

Dan

Old 12-30-2010, 10:12 AM
Spike

Gotcha. I was just going by what it looked like on the map. I've never been to Brewster, and was actually hunting closer to Rexford and staying in Oberlin. I was on Brent Phillips ground if that means anything to you. Good property, tough year with all the crops last year.
Yeah I know Brent Phillips ground really well...he actually farms my great aunts ground...Patty Brown! The ground that is right next to the walk-in-hunting area! He has some really good mule deer ground for sure.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:58 AM
Fork Horn

I like mule deer hunting but Id rather here about the Whitetails lol