HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - West Kansas Whitetails?
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 03:30 PM
gbrownlee
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hoyt21
I 've got a new place to hunt about 8 miles north of Brewster Kansas. Does anyone hunt in West Kansas? and are the quality mature whitetails in that area? On google earth I see a river running through the property but havent actually got to see the land yet. Doesnt look like to much woods there. Anyone know that area at all? I dont mule deer hunt much. Like I said I'm more concerned on the quality of whitetails in that area. I 've hunted north central Kansas and loved it.
I guided a bit last year about 20 miles east of there near Oberlin. Not many whitetails at all, but god the Muleys are gigantic. I did see some mature whitetail bucks, and a couple were giants. From what I found, the whitetails stay on the creeks and the mulies get up in the canyons and yukka plants.

How much land do you have access to? If the creeks are thick and not overgrazed by cows, they will hold deer once the crops are cut(whitetails mostly, but muleys will be in there too). When the cows get in there, they move somewhere where the cows are not but stay along the creeks.

Biggest whitetail I saw while up there was pushing 170", biggest muley was over 200" fairly easily with trash. Go up there around March 15 and walk that creek bottom. You should have good luck with sheds around then, we found 39 sheds in 1.5 days, but we had over 8,000 acres to look for them on.

Last edited by gbrownlee; 12-29-2010 at 03:32 PM.