Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need a tactic for this area >

Need a tactic for this area

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need a tactic for this area

Old 11-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Spike

Default Need a tactic for this area

So there is some amazing ground that I hunt that holds a great number of deer. It is not uncommon to see over 10 deer per hunt on this particular ground. It is essentially a strip of cover that sits in the middle of a cow pasture. The "wooded" area is made up of rows upon rows of small trees, with Russian Olives spotting the areas between the trees.

There are absolutely zero trees that are big enough to put a stand in, and a ground blind would stick out like a sore thumb. I usually sit in a seat up against one of the Russian Olive trees, but it is near impossible to draw a bow without being seen.

Any ideas on how I can conceal myself to get a shot here?

FYI, here is what a Russian Olive looks like in the fall. Offers some cover, but not a whole lot.

*Edit* The pic is not from the hunting area. It is just one I got from Google images to give you all an idea what I'm working with.

Last edited by Gladius87; 11-30-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Suggest open pattern camo and maybe one of those "camo umbrellas"?
Old 11-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Spike

I would build a very small tripod type stand or get a tripod stand and cut the legs. I would then add some larger branches into the Russian Olive tree. This would get you off the ground just a couple feet into the branches to help break things up. Play the wind right and keep the wind in mind when picking your tree. If you can find a tree that meets both wind, shot oppertunity and has some sort of a back drop your in shape.

For example... that tree pictured has horable back drop although pretty, but if you were to build a tripod type stand that could sadle the trunk, put yourself just infront of that larger trunk that goes off to the left, just above where the smaller branch angles towards the camera; you could get away with much more than if you were on the ground. dang... that was a long sentence/thought

another thing that I would sugest that might go against the grain of normal thinking is keep the deer off of you. Take a couple stakes and run some rope from the tree to the stakes about 7-10 yards out. You dont want them to be right on top of you while your waiting for the right deer or the right shot. It doesnt have to be like a fence, just something about 2 feet up to discourge most deer from cutting right next to you. Of course, if the cattle are allowed to be in this overgrown spot, that might not go over very well. In that case make sure what ever your build is wisper quiet.

Good luck.
Dave
Old 11-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

I'm assuming this is private ground. Are you the land owner? This may limit what you are able to do. If you are the owner or can get permission from the owner, then maybe a tripod stand would work in this situation. You could set the stand up pre-season and brush it in, leaving it the entire season. Maybe in the right place you could leave it year-round which would allow the deer to become accustomed to it being there all year. Hunt it with the right wind direction, being careful to control scent coming and going, and you could possibly score on some great bucks.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input everyone. I unfortunately am not able to put a tripod on this piece of land. If so I would have already done it. lol. I was just thinking that there might be something I could do that I was just missing, but it seems it is just a very difficult spot to hunt.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use (miracle grow) an grow your on blind slowly but surely. Sort of like those shrubs in the ground behind the olive tree about what looks to be 30 yards or so.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Gladius87
So there is some amazing ground that I hunt that holds a great number of deer. It is not uncommon to see over 10 deer per hunt on this particular ground. It is essentially a strip of cover that sits in the middle of a cow pasture. The "wooded" area is made up of rows upon rows of small trees, with Russian Olives spotting the areas between the trees.

There are absolutely zero trees that are big enough to put a stand in, and a ground blind would stick out like a sore thumb. I usually sit in a seat up against one of the Russian Olive trees, but it is near impossible to draw a bow without being seen.

Any ideas on how I can conceal myself to get a shot here?

FYI, here is what a Russian Olive looks like in the fall. Offers some cover, but not a whole lot.

LOL,,, I see a telephone pole you could climb!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Spike

Climbing stand in that Telephone pole? Secure the stand on a hanger once in position. Drape camo netting around you in place?
Old 11-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would take a lot of work, but how about a pit blind.

Dig a large hole in the ground, so most of your body is hidden. Around the pit, place some small limbs or brush to conseal what is above ground.

Pit needs to be big enough to draw your bow. Also, it may get a little muddy if it rains.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Spike

Lol. FYI that pic is just one I found on Google. That is not the hunting area. I really can't alter the area I am in at all. It would have to a be a setup I could pack in and take out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.