Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need a tactic for this area >

Need a tactic for this area

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need a tactic for this area

Old 11-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Spike

crazy... but you could modify an aluminum A-Frame ladder to get you off the ground a bit. It would only take about 5-6' of elevation to get you in some better cover.

make it so you can secure 2 pieces of wood or something for the legs to sit on to give it stability. Secure a swivel plastic boat seat on the top. Bring a ratchet with you to secure to tree if needed. Sit on top the ladder and you can swivel as needed for shots. Paint it up well, zip tie some fake leaves to it and see how it works for you at home.

* It would be less work than brushing a blind.
* You could customize it as you go.
* Its something you can carry in and out.
* Not to bad in weight.
* Gets you off the ground.
* Can be stable and ready to hunt in less time than it takes most to set and climb with a climber.
* Using the right tree with heavy branches and some sort of snow camo you could blend in pretty well despite that lack of cover.

I don’t know all the hurdles you have to overcome, just something I would consider in your situation.

Good Luck,
Dave

Last edited by Outdrdave; 11-30-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Outdrdave
crazy... but you could modify an aluminum A-Frame ladder to get you off the ground a bit. It would only take about 5-6' of elevation to get you in some better cover.

make it so you can secure 2 pieces of wood or something for the legs to sit on to give it stability. Secure a swivel plastic boat seat on the top. Bring a ratchet with you to secure to tree if needed. Sit on top the ladder and you can swivel as needed for shots. Paint it up well, zip tie some fake leaves to it and see how it works for you at home.

* Not to bad in weight.
* Can be stable and ready to hunt in less time than it takes most to set and climb with a climber.
* Using the right tree with heavy branches and some sort of snow camo you could blend in pretty well despite that lack of cover.

I don’t know all the hurdles you have to overcome, just something I would consider in your situation.

Good Luck,
Dave
That is an interesting idea. I may have to actually try this one out. If I could get a rig like that right up into the middle of one of the Russian Olives I may have enough cover to actually draw my bow on a deer.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Outdrdave

* Not to bad in weight.

Good Luck,
Dave
I LOVE it! Redneck ingenuity at its best! I think that's an awesome, creative idea!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bet one of those ghost blinds would work pretty good in that situation.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Ghillie suit.
Takes a little getting used to, especially shooting a bow, but they're very effective.
And, if you stay in the shrubs, and can draw without taking a hard breath, you should be able to pull it off.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Spike

im with DDMPrecision on this one. i love my ghillie suit. i trimmed up the right sleeve so it doesnt get caught when i draw but you can be on the ground and disappear. just practice shooting with the suit before you head out.