Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

one last drink

Old 11-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Spike

Default one last drink

Can some of you please share your experience with white tail deer as it relates to drinking water. I have been hunting a watering place and while the deer are showing up it’s to dark to take a shot. Weather is in the mid to high 80s and deer don’t seem to moveing till very late. Will deer activity increase as the temps go down? I have attempted to set up on what I believe are the trails that lead to the water with negative results… Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

best advice i could give you.. is to back off and observe..that is if your hunting open land.. but if your hunting hardwoods with the water source your def gonna have to take a better look around and find the bedding areas and hunting closer to them to intercept them on there way to drink.. with high temps deer move late.. i always try to think of deer like people.. we dont like the heat and they dont either.. when its cold we gotta get up and move around to stay warm...etc.. ive had pretty good success hunting deer this way
Old 11-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Spike

thanks for the advice… I live in southwest Texas and its finally coolly off so I am hoping to see more activity. the area I hunt is open with one problem being that it parkland open to the public and I see many people walking around attempting to stock. Not the best of ideas IMO but it is public land. I am sure this affects the trails deer are taking. So I am forced to deal with it. Am I assuming correct that your advice is to find the bedding areas and set up in entry and exit trails rather than at the watering hole? What about once it cools down?? Thanks again…