Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
100gr  versus  125 grain broadhead >

100gr versus 125 grain broadhead

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

100gr versus 125 grain broadhead

Old 11-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default 100gr versus 125 grain broadhead

I am going to swallow my pride and ask this question.....

I have an older Bowtech Extreme Solo
setup @ 70#
I shoot carbon fury 6075 with blazer vanes.
I have always used 100gr thunderhead fixed blade broadheads.

What difference would I see if I shot 125gr? Just more kinetic energy?

Thank you very much!!

Don
Old 11-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

With it being heavier you're going to lose speed but you're going to gain more kinetic energy.. if I'm not mistaken I'm sure someone will be able to elaborate more on this subject, or correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm shooting 75# @ appx 286fps
gold tip hunter pro 7595 @ 10.1 g/in
arrow + broadhead/field point = 406
and with the nifty little calculator for kinetic energy I found I'm around 73 ft lbs of energy.

I shoot 100g as well, not sure what grain your arrow is, or what I would be shooting fps wise with 125 grain.

Last edited by WI Bow Hunter; 11-08-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

The weight of the head will effect arrow spine also. I use 125's i had a pack of 100 and 125 grain magnus stingers. I chose the 125 because they seemed to fly better and my bow was quieter with them. Bigger cut too. They also give the arrow better FOC. The more weight forward the better my arrows seem to fly. They were noticeably slower though, but not all that much.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

I use 125g because my arrows seem to group better that way. What you lose in speed isn't that significant I don't think. Plus the heavier arrow will penetrate better.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:32 AM
Fork Horn

My feeling is that you will get a slower heavier quieter arrow that has better penetration. It will hit a deer harder and break a rib easier when going through. On the bad side, you may have to adjust your aiming because it will drop faster due to more weight. ie you can now only aim with your pin out to 25 yards instead of 30, etc.

Put some 125gr field tips on and experiment from 5 yds out to whatever. If you are shooting 70lbs!, it may not be that different.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cut my bowhunting teeth on 125 grain BH's. I didn't make the switch years ago when everyone switched over to 100's because I liked the higher FOC, bigger hole, quieter bow and higher KE. However, they're getting harder and harder to find - esp the replacement blades. Now, I'm shooting the 100's and getting the same results. Pass thru's, short blood trails, etc. -- and they're easier to obtain. You should be good either way.