Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
freaky rack buck ! >

freaky rack buck !

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

freaky rack buck !

Old 10-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default freaky rack buck !

i had been posting trail cam pics of this buck in trail cam threads.he had an injured front leg that caused his antlers to ''freak out''.

took me a few hunts but i finally got him !
put my stand up right by the pond and had several deer coming to drink every evening.he would only show every few days or so.thursday afternoon found me in my stand by 4:30 and by five i had a small 7 pt,2 does and 4 yearlings
all around me feeding their way to a small clover plot.watched them for about an hour when suddenly i see freaky at the other end of the plot and hes headed in my direction. it took him an hour to work his way within ten yards of me.
let me take this moment to say,i haven't killed a deer with a bow in 20 years[by choice-trophy hunter..ha!]and i was some shook up.i love just watching deer and wasn't sure i would actually do it.i didn't like him crippled up though and he really has a cool rack.
okay,so i draw on him and he busts me ! he turns to face me and i'm holding the bow back for a couple minutes.had to hook my knuckles to the back of my head to keep it back !
he finaly turns and stopped and i hit the release...THWACK !!! he took off and ran head on into a 12 ft metal gate ! he continued on into the dry woods and i heard him run for a good ways. wasn't too sure about the shot,i was
pretty sure i hit him in shoulder.found a few drops of blood and half my arrow about 20 yds from where he was standing. not good. by the time i got flashlights and a lantern ready it was dark so my wife went along to help track[she has better eyes]. found enough blood to track him over a hundred yds and the trail ended.finally found 1 spot where he had turned off to the side but no more.i decided to pull out and not push him.it was a long restless nite for me and at daylight i was back at it.found 2 more splashes of blood in the direction he turned but no more.i had some logging done a few years ago and it was thick in there !i finally just started searching for him in sections.it was in the 30's that nite so i wasn't worried yet,but i had to leave and drive my wife to get a tooth cut out.got back in the woods by noon and had a buddy and my 17 yr old son helping me walk looking for him. finally found him about 100 yds from last blood.he was laying in sunlight and already swelled a little so i wasn;t going to trust the meat.regardless i'm glad i didn't give up and recovered him. i had hit him in the left front shoulder[his bad leg]and the arrow poked out the bottom right against his inner right leg.not enough to bleed good but i don't think he lived long and i'm thankfull for that !
sorry so long winded ! here's some pics.
oh...when he rammed the gate he broke a point off.i gotta find it !
17 pt[14 pts scoreable] 15 if i find the missing point !
my buddy is mounting him for me.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

When he got hit in his bad leg he probably thought ''s**t'' not again.
Hope ya can salvage the meat though, hate to see it go to waste.
Surely it'll still be good if ya have a dog ya can feed it to.

Oh just read your name that's probably out.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by eureka77
When he got hit in his bad leg he probably thought ''s**t'' not again.
Hope ya can salvage the meat though, hate to see it go to waste.
Surely it'll still be good if ya have a dog ya can feed it to.

Oh just read your name that's probably out.
LOL ! not domestic dogs.i have a passion for hunting coyotes and all the good names were taken
Old 10-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Got ya.
I meant to put a smilimg face after that sorry.lol.
Nice buck! and congrats.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

very cool rack
Old 10-25-2010, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

A weird rack for sure. Will be a cool mount and conversation piece
Old 10-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Man that's gnarly looking.. Great deer, love to see what it looks like once it's mounted..