Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lost a deer....

Old 10-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default Lost a deer....

Yesterday morning i took a shot at a large doe. She was 36 yards broadside. I shot her for 30 and hit low. I am terrible at judging distances. She looked as if she was standing right under my 30 yard marker, but was actually past it six yards. I heard the arrow hit and thought i made a perfect shot. I went to where i shot and found my arrow coated in very red blood from the tip to the knock. The arrow passed through easily. I found white hair where i hit her. I figured i shot low when i saw that. My question is will she make it, or should i keep looking? I waited 6 hours and followed her trail for a 1/4 of a mile. She stopped bleeding after that. At first there was decent blood then drops and then nothing. I hope she makes it, and i'm seriously kicking myself for forgetting my range finder. I know the arrow hit right in line of where i was aiming. Is it possible to shoot under the vitals? I hope so, i feel terrible. I tore up that doe tag. I'm counting her as one...even though i never recovered her. What do you guys think any one here shot too low? Thanks Matt
Old 10-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that, I did that a few years back but it was because I aimed too low at 20yds. waited an hour and found her half dead within 100yds so I guess I got lucky she didnt get away. You shoulda kept the tag, and kept trying, just maybe limit your shots to 25 yds broadside.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

I usually have no trouble at those distances. But without a range finder, i had no business taking that shot. Your right, closer is alot better, but sometimes things don't work out like that. If i had the rangefinder i can garantee 100% i would have that doe in my freezer. Shooting without one was irresponsible on my part....and i wont leave home without it again. I hope she makes it, but i doubt she will....
Old 10-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

I shot low on a buck one year and found him within 150 yards. I hit just below the heart. Keep looking.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dont feel too bad, Ive lost a few deer over the years by taking much worse shots than that. I think ultimately it made me a better hunter though.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks alot guys. On a high note, i went from seeing nothing last year to seeing deer every day. I'm a recent convert from ground hunting to treestand hunting. Man my climber is a whole lot more comfortable and i can move it right where i need it. I saw a big buck this morning. Just too far 46 yards. LASER RANDFINDER. You guys seeing any chasing.? This morning i saw it for the first time this year. I went back to the trail after i hunted this morning. I can't find where the deer went after she stopped bleeding. I guess this ones gone for good
Old 10-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not seeing any chasing around me, but I didn't see anything last night or this morning. Its the first time I haven't seen deer. I don't know if its the weather keeping them down or what.