HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who' s using the oldest equipment?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2003, 04:08 PM
c903

Default RE: Who' s using the oldest equipment?

There is a difference between " old" and " early."

I use three primary " early" bows and keep them in superb condition.

Martin " Firecat" Pro-Series, circa 1990, approx. 220 fps, " Standard" wheel. Sweet to shoot/pull, quiet, enables superb accuracy, and still makes clean kills.

Martin " Bengal," circa 1992, approx 240 fps, " Ultra Sonic" cams, teardrop cable, smooth draw and let-off, quiet, enables superb accuracy.

Martin " Bengal" circa 1992, overdraw, " Ultra Sonic" cams, split harness, smooth draw and let-off, quiet, enables superb accuracy, and is a " whacker." Never have chronoed bow, but definately is fast, but stable.

Last season I briefly had the new bow wants. Tested several. Did not like the hard rollover most had, most did not pull smooth thru entire draw, and many had a let-off that would jerk you out of your stand. Most of all, the prices on most bows and accessories today is ridiculous and just did not justify my dumping my three friends that have never malfunctioned nor let me down.

Considering that hunting is a close contact sport, and most the power and speed of some of the newer bows is unnecessary and does not provide any outstanding (hunting) edge over my present gear, I chose to stay with my earlier Martins. For hunting purposes, I will put my bows up against any new bow. For 3D or Field shooting, I would step up to plate with the " Bengals," with full confidence.