Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Not passing threw....Any thoughts? >

Not passing threw....Any thoughts?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not passing threw....Any thoughts?

Old 10-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

How sharp are your blades? I shoot rage 3 blade, similar draw length/weight, have shot 2 deer, both double lung shots, both punched through.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

wait until a shot goes a bit off Rick C ...... you'll learn a hard lesson the hard way
Old 10-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

I used to be an exspandable man years ago. But always would wonder why I wouldn't get pass throughs. didn't know any better. Then went to four blade muzzy and that didn't happen any more.

That being said there are only 2 expandables on the market I would shot they are the NAP Shockwaves and Grim Reaper Razortip. Both have performed very well for me.

I seen all the hype about the rage heads and though if you don't have all kinds of KE you will not get a complete pass through. I would say at least a 400 gr arrow total weight moving at well over 300fps is the only way those heads will get complete pass throughs in most cases.

Now all I shot are Slick Trick Mag. heads great entrance wound and even better exit wound, I couldn't beleive the size exit wounds I am getting with that small head in comparision to a larger dia. head.

Tune your bow right shot a quality fixed blade head and your life will be alot easier that shooting any mechanical. Fixed heads penatrate better than expandables and thats a known fact.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ranger77
wait until a shot goes a bit off Rick C ...... you'll learn a hard lesson the hard way
Hey Rick C.

This guy is probably not the best guy to listen to because....

HE HAS NEVER SHOT THE HEAD!!!!!!

So how would he have any knowledge, understanding, or credibility on the subject.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:26 AM
Spike

try muzzy 3 blade had no problems with them
Old 10-21-2010, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

annika3

you and I both know Rage broadheads are poor at penetration qualities - that's why there is a recommendation of XX KE to shoot them

simple physics will tell you a mechanical loses energy deplying its blades, common sense will tell you two thick blades on the same plane will not bend/break like long skinny thinner blades projected out of a ferrule ...

I mean IF you helped design the Rage like you've said before, you know these things and the Rage is a gimmick that made ya'll a lot of money.

Does it work? Well sure, and Like I've said, the old Puckett's Bloodtrailer heads killed deer too - they were aweful in so many ways though .... so too are the Rage

and one other thought ..... if the Rage is so great in design and penetration, why do so many hunting videos like Real Tree and Primos etc etc show just terrible penetration hits?
Old 10-21-2010, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXsOS...eature=related

2:45 (3:04 slow motion) .......... look what GREAT penetration
Old 10-21-2010, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

3:34 ......... horrible penetration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJAaa...eature=related
Old 10-21-2010, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoYIWZPQh2s

4:45 of this video -
Old 10-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

how are these incredible Rage broadheads not blowing completely through like Annika3 says they will?

I'm just BAFFLED by it !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.