Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wolf or Coyote

Old 10-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default Wolf or Coyote

Just curious if anyone has seen a wolf in N. IL, or any midwest state. My friend says he saw a pair of them. I told him they had to be coyotes. There are no wolves in Illinois. I have seen a coyote that would go at least 45-50 lbs.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

If your friend knows what a wolf looks like, he may be correct. Wolves have really been increasing their territory. Chances are if you ask the local wildlife agent, they will say they are 'big coyotes'. These same wildlife agents like to claim a reported mountain lion sighting as a 'big tomcat'. See what the agent's reaction is that if they are just big coyotes, the next time you see them they will be shot.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do some google searches. There was a wolf killed last year in the Rockford area and one caught on trail cam in the Peoria area.

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/...t_in_illinois/
Old 10-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Spike

theres probably some in that have wanderd in from wisconsin, heck 2 years ago a black bear was roaming around jo davies county, and a few years ago there was a mountain lion in stephenson county.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

It certainly wouldn't be a stretch for a wolf in N. IL. There have been numerous wolves around the Madison area, so a good long walk puts those wolves in IL.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ILhunter59
theres probably some in that have wanderd in from wisconsin, heck 2 years ago a black bear was roaming around jo davies county, and a few years ago there was a mountain lion in stephenson county.
They found a collared wolf from WI in Missouri a couple of years ago, so it's not out of the question. AFAIK there aren't many (any?) established packs south of WI but occasionally young wolves will get kicked from the packs up north and they go wandering about.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

There is a lot of wolves in central WI, so northern IL isn't really that far. The packs around here are growing so they need to expand there area
Old 10-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

My Uncle lives in IL and he has seen A TON of coyotes around his area.
He lives in Woodstalk
But I bet it was probably a huge coyote and not a wolf.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by country1
If your friend knows what a wolf looks like, he may be correct. Wolves have really been increasing their territory. Chances are if you ask the local wildlife agent, they will say they are 'big coyotes'. These same wildlife agents like to claim a reported mountain lion sighting as a 'big tomcat'. See what the agent's reaction is that if they are just big coyotes, the next time you see them they will be shot.
yeah its like in that in VA they deny mountain lions in VA. Yet we had one at work that had castings made of its tracks and caught on a trail cam about a mile from where I worked. Not mention the new shorts my boss needed when it walked out on him closing the gate one evening. This is eastern Va now, more and more are being caught on trail cams further west.

But they aren't here.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Spike

Yes there are wolves in Illinois, along with mountain lions. But I still wonder how many people are seeing coyotes and mistaking them for wolves.

If the IL DNR is saying that there are wolves in Illinois, then there must be. It's gotten to the point where they can't deny it anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.