Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wolf or Coyote

Old 10-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Yes. There are no mountain lions in VA. Even though I had one jump from one tree to another right over my head, so that I had to dodge the falling branches. It also screamed at me one morning from about 40 or 50 yards away when I was putting up my climbing sticks. Scared the beJesus out of me in the dark.

But the mountain lions here are really probably freed/escaped captive exotics. People get these wild animals as "pets" because it sounds cool or makes them feel wild or like a man or something. Then they realize it isn't a pet and they decide to let it go into the forest somewhere, where people like me (and a half dozen other poeple I know of) see them. I don;t really think there are breeding prides of mountain lions here. Just the occasional escapee.

It may be the same with wolves. A neighbor of mine when I was a kid got a timber wolf pup and raised it. It was a cool pet. One day I was playing with it while he was away (he knew I was in his yard playing with it) and it went for a tennis ball it missed and snapped its chain. Then my friend and I had to go chasing it around the neighborhood and tie it back up again. Yours might have just gotten away from its master and liked its freedom. Or, as other have said, maybe it was a renegade from an established pack further west. Lots of weird stuff in the woods.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

Have seen 1 wolf here in Fulton county it was black and silver and at least 90-100 pounds,it was crossing a creek I raised my shotgun up but decided not to shoot haven't seen it since.I suspect he traveled to some mine ground a couple miles away but who knows. He looked just like this when you see one you don't forget it.

Last edited by blackhawk_archery; 10-13-2010 at 06:09 PM.