Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
1st day bow hunting and i did the stupidest thing in the world >

1st day bow hunting and i did the stupidest thing in the world

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1st day bow hunting and i did the stupidest thing in the world

Old 09-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default 1st day bow hunting and i did the stupidest thing in the world

alright headed out to the stand this morning sat for 4 hours seen three skin heads then helped my boss put out corn and run cameras then got in the stand about 4 o clock over looking a creek bed where two trails cross sitting there in the pouring rain getting soaked thought my new scent lok was water proof found out i was wrong it quit raining about 630 after not seeing anything i decided i would stand up and stretch so i stand up and look to my right and i see a flash of something coming my way so i sat back down grabbed my bow and it was a 160 165 inch main frame 10 with some of the longest tines i have ever seen with 2 stickers about 2 inches long on each g2 and better yet this deer looks about 5 years old but this deer isn't wasting any time so grabbed my bow and he stops at 15 yards in front of me and scratches his ear with his foot and i do the stupidest thing in the world i sit there and watch him scratch his ear instead of sticking him then he stays behind every tree and goes out of sight i swear i am the dumbest person in the world this is the second biggest deer i have seen in the stand and i blew it.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a good old case of buck fever.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

i dont know i didnt get over excited when i seen him standing there i just for got to shoot then he stood behind the tree and all he had to do was go 5 feet to the left and it would have been a 30 yard shot i am tore up over this that would have been my first buck and i screwed it up i can think of a hundred things i would have and could have done different that would had me having my first buck on the ground
Old 09-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

yea major case of buck fever! i bet you were just sittin there staring at it just thinking how big it was and forgot that you were supposed to be killing it. but dont beat yourself up over cause u got the rest of the season to keep hunting him. sounds like a nice deer hopefully you will see him again! good luck next time!!!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

this is one of those things that i would hear from somebody and i would say to myself i would never do that and i did it
Old 09-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

He'll be back. That's a pretty funny story though...lol
Old 09-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

yea hopefully i will have another chance at him i am surprised i seen a mature deer during day light this early in the season
Old 09-24-2010, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear similar things from guys. I ask why they didn't shoot and they usually say things like, the deer didn't stop, it wasn't perfectly broadside, etc. They don't always pose like the ones on TV. Next time I'll bet your bow will be drawn and an arrow will be on its way.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well the good thing about mistakes is we all learn from them. Thats what makes us better hunters. Several years ago I shot the biggest buck I have ever seen. I hit it in the shoulder. I made the mistake of not waiting. I was so excited that I only waited about a half hour before I went looking for it. I jumped it laying down. I pushed it to a point that I never found it again. I was so mad at myself for not giving it several hours to lay on a bad shot that I just pushed it away. So don't beat yourself up. Sounds like he is not spooked by anything. And maybe he smelt a hot doe? Maybe...
Old 09-24-2010, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

be ready for him next time, hang in there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.