Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Safety Strap around tree Q's? >

Safety Strap around tree Q's?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Safety Strap around tree Q's?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Safety Strap around tree Q's?

I've been wondering this all week. I usually use the safety strap that goes around the tree that came with the tree stand, then attach a D-loop clamp to "lock in" to my harness loop.

Some of them are worn out, so a friend suggested a rope system from (I think) Hunter Specialties. Basically it's a $25 rope with a D-loop clamp on it. He has a couple that he's trying out this year.

If I understand the instructions correctly, it's a rope with a loop knot in it on 1 end. Wrap the D-loop clamp end around the tree and through the loop on the opposite end of the rope. Just let hang and clamp on to your safety harness strap.

IF that is correct, I could do that with about $10 worth of supplies from any hardware store. Anyone use this product? Any other idea's for replacing the worn out strap around the tree?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pat, I use the tree rope system that comes from the Hunter's Safety System folks (Rope-Style Tree Strap is the exact name). I've made a couple of the prussic hitches, but the one thing you have to be on the watch for with the hardware store supplies is the load limit on the rope. Make sure it is the right stuff. A rope that may feel heavy duty may only have a load limit of 150 pounds because the core of the rope is not what it needs to be. I've got 6 of the HSS ones now, and 6 stands, so it works out well. I've decided to just stick with the ones the experts produce.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I may buy 1, and build one just to compare. I just can't believe they're charging $25 for a rope with a d-loop!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, the $25 seems a tad steep for me too. I think buying one is a good idea, you can at least compare the weight of the parts and see what the rope looks like.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

I went to a rock climbing store and made few. The cost is about the same
Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Spike

The amount of force when you fall is much more than your bodyweight. I use harnesses at work and they must be able to hold 5000#. There's a saftey factor in that number as well. Just a heads up. There's a reason its expensive
Old 09-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one and love it because i can easily ajust the length.
the price is in the quality of the rope. yhey use a climbing grade rope
here is a site that sells them almost at cost or shows you how and where to make one
http://www.geocities.com/safetreehunt/systems.html
Old 09-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Learn some marlin spike and get a piece of 5/8 line and tie an eye splice one one end, a back splice or whip finish on the other and use a pc of 3/8 and tie in a Prussic and atatch your caribeaneer.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

I use it and love it!!! I actually made several myself this year and they seem to work just as well. Now I have one in every tree that I may hunt.