Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What do I do? What do I do?!?!? >

What do I do? What do I do?!?!?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do I do? What do I do?!?!?

Old 09-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default What do I do? What do I do?!?!?

Lol. So my neighbor (and one of my wife's relatives) asked me if I'd like to bowhunt one of his farms and said he's going to take me down there later this week after work some evening or this weekend so I can scout it out. I am so excited and thankful as I'd always thought this would be a great spot. He's not a bowhunter but said he might look into it now that he's retired and so I'd love to get him involved in this sickness as well. I was even thinking of giving him my bow or lending it to him if he liked shooting and getting a new one.

Regardless, back to the present. He's going to show me around sometime this week and my plans were to set up a stand and a pop-blind in a couple of spots after scouting but I'd love any advice from anyone they could provide from looking at the aerial photo. It's basically woods and swamp in the middle of ag land, some hay, some beans and corn surrounding it all. Any thoughts on where to do so purely from looking at the photo would be much appreciated. I already noticed a harem of does skirting the west edge of the woods in beans on the way home from church this morning.

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac200/deerminator1/NewHuntingLand.jpg
Old 09-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

Looks like you got yourself an island to hunt! LOL, best advice I can give you is to hunt the travel corridor to the south. Are the woods to the east part of the tract? If so, that area in the southeast corner looks promising too. The fields themselves will produce at low light, provided there is a standing food source. Ground blind would work just off to the side of the southern tip of fence row.

Just my thoughts...
Old 09-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

post the "share" link from google maps plz
Old 09-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

It is pretty easy. You must hunt down wind or you will push them out the opposite end. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

Can't access the link from here at work.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

need more information. What is south of this? I see a wood strip going down, does it end?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by niehenke View Post
It is pretty easy. You must hunt down wind or you will push them out the opposite end. Good luck.
x2.....these area's are but once you get spotted everything is outta there.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

That is a tough one. Not much cover. You definitely have to hunt the wind and make sure you approach wherever you hunting with the wind in your face or your going to chase everything out. Big bucks tend to stay in little patches like that. 2 hunters on that property maybe one to many.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would try and stay to the edges eccept the one kinda in the middle. That one looks like one you should be able to get into quietly. Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails What do I do? What do I do?!?!?-newhuntingland.jpg  
Old 09-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Spike

You say it's kinda low-n-swampy in the middle; deer usually cross open fields in lowest elevation there is; may want to just watch the place from distance to observe travel routes, then hunt accordingly. Good luck!!! by the way, once refused to sell my old bow at a discount, then gave it to a younger employee who had a second child on the way....happy was he!! (had same draw length)