Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you think is a good group? >

What do you think is a good group?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you think is a good group?

Old 07-09-2003, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default What do you think is a good group?

I have been shooting bows for many, many years and have shot with a lot of people around here and am one of the better shots out of my friends but I am wondering what you guys consider good shooting. At 10 yards I can' t shoot 2 arrows at the samb spot, at 20 yards, things change, and my groups open up to about 3 inches with a very occasional flyer. at 40 yards I am 6 to 8inches and the flyers seem a little more frequent. I never will shoot at a deer over 20 yards but was wondering what people are capable of. We had a pro living here and he would hit an X about the size of a dime at 20 yards every shot but he did that for a living. I want to know about guys who practice and bowhunt, and if I should be satisfied with my accuracy or should obsess over trying to be perfect.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:25 PM
nub

Default RE: What do you think is a good group?

I am wondering what you guys consider good shooting.
I consider 1" for every 10 yards " good shooting" .
Strive to be the best you can and know your limitations.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:34 PM

I agree with nub

but with a bit of practice, proper form lessons, and a bow fit and tunes for your style - I think a little bit better is possible
Old 07-10-2003, 06:58 AM

STACKEM! That would be a good group
AL
Old 07-10-2003, 06:59 AM

never be satisfied with accuracy until you are driving tacks and

know where the arrow is going. (meaning the flyers)

I don' t think you can shoot a group that is tight enough! IMO
Old 07-10-2003, 07:35 AM

I can usually shoot consistant 2-3 inch groups at 30 yards under good conditions.
Im more than happy with that considering I dont shoot at a deer over 30 yards.
I think thats a good group. At least for me. Definatley not great, but good.[:-]
Keep practicing to maintain a consistant form and fine tune that bow. Your groups sound good but there is always some room for improvement. Dont obsess or worry about it too much though. Just set you a goal of bringing those 20 yard shots into two inches consistantly and over time it will come. If not, dont worry about it. Your groups are still good. Unless you shoot 3d competition where you have shots out to 50 or 60 yards. Then you really need to tighten em up.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

To be honest I really don' t know what kind of groups I shoot, as most of my practice is done with broadheads shooting 1 at a time or at different bulls. All I know is that shooting at a deer target or mckenzie, I hit the vitals every shot up to my max range 25 yds. Once I was playing around shooting at 40 yds and 90% of my arrows went into the 5" circle, and none outside the 8" circle.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I got a new bow this past year and my accuracy went way up, I had to buy a multiple bull target because I was cutting fletchings and even creased an arrow at 20 yards, 30 yards I am happy with a 3 inch group, 40 yards 4 inches. All those figures are when I am in practice, I am out of practice right now because of all the rain we have had in my part of the country and I have not been able to clear the vines and grass that have grown up where I practice at.

I did an informal 3D shoot with some friends from here at a get together and Big Country who shoots profesionaly 3D took 2 shots at 39 yards and they were touching! He does this almost every time, not me![]
Old 07-10-2003, 09:48 AM

multiple bull target because I was cutting fletchings and even creased an arrow at 20 yards, 30 yards I am
I quit aiming for the same spot. It started getting way to expensive.[]
Old 07-10-2003, 10:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Once I hit 30 yards I actually aim for the nock, I have only done one robin hood and that was at 30 yards! I have only cut a few fletchings off at 30, never at 40![]

Quick Reply: What do you think is a good group?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.