Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

10 yard shot

Old 09-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Are you laughing at me?

My DB has "the hole".
Old 09-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry,Jeff,I didn't know but yes,now that I know,I am laughing.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default I'm not trying to be an ....!

Originally Posted by TFOX
And 5 yards out for those that even care anymore.I think all these shots will kill a deer.

But why would any hunter attempt that shot? How did the target get in there, and how did it egress? I'm not sure where we're going with this? I'll flood this site with target aquisition and engagement, but really? Isn't it really about the individual, their weapon system, and accuracy for the animals sake? I think I'm lost on this.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

A 5 yard shot is very doable,especially if in a lower stand.I have done it with great success.Get below 5,then yes,maybe a pass is necessary.

How about squirrels? Ever hunt them? How about a turkey? Hell,what about 3-d.I have had to make this shot in competition on many occasions.Good thing I didn't use my 40.

We need to Know our equipment for every possible situation.

One would think you would get a better shot opportunity but it doesn't always happen that way.I hunt some pretty thick stuff sometimes and deer do walk straight in as well as straight out.Just be prepared and know your equipment.

Not to mention,my last posts were about correct information instead of falsehoods.Sight parallax isn't an issue when 20' in a tree for most setups.

Last edited by TFOX; 09-14-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first blind has a hole in it. Thankfully it was a practice shot on the range. You find out pretty quick that the arrow is well below the sight at release.

I have also shot a deer at 2 yards from the blind. I knew i had to aim high but since i had not practiced that shot i was not sure how high. Aimed way too high and spined him (got lucky)

I should have just reached out and stabbed him with the arrow
Old 09-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by davidmil
Practice the shot .

x2 and as your planing on hunting. If from a tree then from a tree. Even a good idea to do it with as much head gear as you think you might wear.

When I wear a lot I can't even line the peep and pin up. Good to know that before you need to.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TFOX
True,if hunting out of a ground blind,this is a HUGE factor.More than 1 blind out there has a hole in it from those unaware of this phenomenon.
If you shoot differently from a stand than you do on the ground things change, I do. I don't care that I do and set up to shot from a stand as I would shoot instinctively. Does me little good if what I use to line up is blurry on a shot and I shoot off. If I set up so that everything is natural I have an edge and sighting in is a backup. For some reason I pull the shot to one side from a stand. Instead of fighting it I just go with it.

I had a situation last year where a buck was about 10 yards out broadside coming down a grade. I was in a tree next to it. Because it was close and took a step down at release the arrow went right over it's back. I came home and tried the shot again, my first pin was set to high for such a close shot. I've changed things for this year. My first pin is set for a max of 20 yards not at 20.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

This is a prime reason to practice, practice and then practice even more. So many new bowhunters set their pins up and then when it comes to make the in-between range shots they are not sure what to do. LADIES and GENTS, practice those in between ranges I.E 10 yards, 11, 12 13, 14, 15 - 25 yards etc etc.

Learn how your bow reacts and how your shooting style changes the arrow flight and point of impact on the target. DO NOT simply shoot 20, 30 and 40 yard pins if that is your setup. YES, Leave the pins at those yard points but practice with those same pins at different yardages. Shoot sitting down, shoot like you would if your standing on a treestand platform, it helps.

In a nutshell, practice every possible shot you can so when the time comes to make that shot it is second nature to you.

Goodluck,
Dave
Old 09-18-2010, 05:45 AM
Dominant Buck

My first pin is set for a max of 20 yards not at 20.
Can you expound on the difference in POI at ydgs. below 20? Just curious.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Can you expound on the difference in POI at ydgs. below 20? Just curious.
The zone is often a 6-8" pie plate. I'm set to hit the center close and low at 20. After that I better use the next pin. Close is about like TFOX shot. Nice shooting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.