Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

10 yard shot

Old 09-18-2010, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SouthernMDArcherer
This is a prime reason to practice, practice and then practice even more. So many new bowhunters set their pins up and then when it comes to make the in-between range shots they are not sure what to do. LADIES and GENTS, practice those in between ranges I.E 10 yards, 11, 12 13, 14, 15 - 25 yards etc etc.

Learn how your bow reacts and how your shooting style changes the arrow flight and point of impact on the target. DO NOT simply shoot 20, 30 and 40 yard pins if that is your setup. YES, Leave the pins at those yard points but practice with those same pins at different yardages. Shoot sitting down, shoot like you would if your standing on a treestand platform, it helps.

In a nutshell, practice every possible shot you can so when the time comes to make that shot it is second nature to you.

Goodluck,
Dave
If only the deer would cooperate. Nothing beats practice.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Dominant Buck

nodog:

Go back and look at the diagram I posted. At around 8yds, you'd be dead-on with your 20yd pin. At all ranges <20yds (above 8.....and until you got to 20) you'd be high.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
nodog:

Go back and look at the diagram I posted. At around 8yds, you'd be dead-on with your 20yd pin. At all ranges <20yds (above 8.....and until you got to 20) you'd be high.

I'll look. I did and I see what your talking about. The deer I missed was probably under the arch and not at the point where the sight and arrow met. I haven't measured the distances more than walking them off so our 20's are probably different. I'm sure that first deers back was just at the top of the arch and he might have been just taking a step down. Whatever he got away and I didn't have to drag his entire butt 2 miles to the truck so I wasn't real upset. Next year we are call in. Really looking forward top that.

What I want to see is my arrow hitting the spot. I've noticed I don't bend as easily these days and my body wants to pull me straight. Kind of hard to hold down and release without releasing my whole body straightening up so I need some help. Maybe you were talking about shooting level, I'm in a tree 20 up trying to bend at the waist.

Based on experience hitting a deer low in the lung area is a lot more deadly than high so I'm good with low. Shot at 3 deer last year all close, I hit 2 high and missed one The 2 I hit were after missing and I still was high. Tracking was long.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nodog
The zone is often a 6-8" pie plate. I'm set to hit the center close and low at 20. After that I better use the next pin. Close is about like TFOX shot. Nice shooting!

After looking at the pic I can see he's about half the distance up I am, makes a difference. The longer it has to travel the more of that arch it can get to.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nodog
I'll look. I did and I see what your talking about. The deer I missed was probably under the arch and not at the point where the sight and arrow met. I haven't measured the distances more than walking them off so our 20's are probably different. I'm sure that first deers back was just at the top of the arch and he might have been just taking a step down. Whatever he got away and I didn't have to drag his entire butt 2 miles to the truck so I wasn't real upset. Next year we are call in. Really looking forward top that.

What I want to see is my arrow hitting the spot. I've noticed I don't bend as easily these days and my body wants to pull me straight. Kind of hard to hold down and release without releasing my whole body straightening up so I need some help. Maybe you were talking about shooting level, I'm in a tree 20 up trying to bend at the waist.

Based on experience hitting a deer low in the lung area is a lot more deadly than high so I'm good with low. Shot at 3 deer last year all close, I hit 2 high and missed one The 2 I hit were after missing and I still was high. Tracking was long.

I actually prefer high double lungs.My experience is short tracking,go figure.My son hit his doe this year in what would be say a high 10 and she ran about 30 total yards and was dead.Actually flipped over on the ground.

Something else to remember about short shots,Deer are so close that any noise from your bow will have them bolting upon release,causing a high hit from the deer "ducking" to run.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TFOX
I actually prefer high double lungs.My experience is short tracking,go figure.My son hit his doe this year in what would be say a high 10 and she ran about 30 total yards and was dead.Actually flipped over on the ground.

Something else to remember about short shots,Deer are so close that any noise from your bow will have them bolting upon release,causing a high hit from the deer "ducking" to run.
As long as you hit the lungs. On those angle shots you can hit just one. Pretty sure that's what I did with those 2. A low shot would hit vitals. One lung and vitals is better than one lung. How it's turned out for me.

Your right about noise.

I'll bet your son was happy. Got to make him feel real good helping to feed the family like his dad.