Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

change rest????

Old 09-01-2010, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default change rest????

Okay... so here it is 31 days before the start of the season.. I've gotten pretty good with the bow I just bought. I pretty much can keep all the arrows within a 1 inch group @ 20 yards and closer. Anything between 30 and 40 I can keep it within 4 inches. Not too bad for not shooting a bow for 20sum years. So my bow has a Whisper Buscuit... and I've noticed that its pretty worn, but still adequate enough for me to shoot decently. Running around on the internet I found & bought a QAD Ultra HD. I should have it within a few days. Question is.... do I leave what I have until after the season is over? Or change to the new rest and have to re-set up my bow? I really want to do all the work myself to get it done quick but I have never changed a rest before and I just know that if I take it to the shop this time of the year it will take a few weeks to get it back. Can I change the rest and not change the nock point in order to set it up quickly for the season and then go back after and set it up the proper way????
Old 09-01-2010, 07:06 AM
Spike

Take a few weeks to put on a new rest?!?!? My archery shop is pretty quick and can do it in couple mins.... If ur gonna do it urself..u should have no problem doing it urself and sighting it back in, in less then 31 days
Old 09-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I ran into the shop yesterday at lunch and had the work done before I had to be back at the office. Try to get in there at a time when it won't be busy and they should have you in and out in no time.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

You don't want to change your nock point because you change your rest. You adjust the rest to your current nock point. If I was you I would put the new one on and I'll bet your groups close up. I have never been a big fan of those biscits, especially after there worn a bit. Changing a rest really isn't that bad, eyeball it close and then micro adjust it up or down and left and right without changing anything else. Use your 10 yard pin to dial it in. Then once dialed in you might have to move your other pins a little. Where all here to help ya out............
Old 09-08-2010, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

Well I finally (only took 3 days but seemed like forever!) got it in the mail and couldnt wait to get home to install it. I watched the DVD and then went to work. And as suggested I measured everything from the old rest. I previously changed the sight without any issues so this wasn't as intimidating. I did have to use the horizontal spacer to get some more left to right adjustment ability because the first shots were left (I'm a lefty) of POA and adjusting the sight over I ran out of room. No issues though, pretty straight forward install. Elevation was right on with the arrow lining up with the berger holes and with the 4th arrow I was hitting the bull at 20 yards. I didn't have time to check where my broadheads were flying in relation to the field points cause I didnt have the time last night. But took me about an hour and a half start to finish. Checking 30 and 40 yard hits next, then broadheads... so far so good though.... THe only thing that I have to get used to with this new rest is that the ****ing lever touches my right hand when I grip the bow. Pretty insignificant but something that I have to get used too.. just feels like I'm not high enough on the grip.... Oh and by the way, used the plastic timing cord holder AND served the end, might be a bit of overkill but.... Thanks for all the pointers and "go for it" attitudes!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your hand is hitting the rest something is wrong. I have setup 6 of these rests this season on different bows. They are excellent rests. Call QAD if you have any tech questions. There is a lot of adjustment with that rest and you should be able to get it how you want it, without too much trouble. There are two positions for the launcher to be mounted on the rest. Have a look and maybe move the launcher and remove the block you added.