Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bowtech Lovers - A must read >

Bowtech Lovers - A must read

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowtech Lovers - A must read

Old 08-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Spike

Default Bowtech Lovers - A must read

Bow Can Unexpectedly Break Apart

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: “The General” Compound Bows

Units: About 8,000

Manufacturer: BowTech Archery, of Eugene, Ore.

Hazard: The ends of the bow’s limbs can unexpectedly break during use and send fragments of the bow in the direction of the user or bystanders, posing a risk of injury.

Incidents/Injuries: The firm has received 255 reports of the bow’s limbs breaking, including 11 reports of lacerations, abrasions, or contusions when pieces from the breaking bow struck the user.

Description: This recall involves the “The General” compound bows hunting and target models with draw weights of 60 and 70 pounds that do not have a collet (see illustration below) in the limb. The bows measure about 31 inches long and have draw lengths of 26-30 inches. Hunting models were sold in real tree and mossy oak camouflage patterns. Target models were sold in gray, black, and wood-grain. The bows have laminated wood grips engraved with the word “BowTech” and a label with “The General” on the center pivot point of the bottom limb.

Sold at: Authorized BowTech Dealers nationwide from September 2007 through July 2008 for about $800.

Manufactured in: United States

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled bows and contact their dealer to schedule a free repair.

Consumer Contact: For more information, contact BowTech Archery at (888) 689-1289 anytime or visit the company’s Web site at www.bowtecharchery.com

Send the link for this page to a friend! The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from thousands of types of consumer products under the agency’s jurisdiction. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard. The CPSC’s work to ensure the safety of consumer products – such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals – contributed significantly to the decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.

To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC’s hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC’s teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC’s web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html. To join a CPSC email subscription list, please go to https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx. Consumers can obtain this release and recall information at CPSC’s Web site at www.cpsc.gov.

Below is another very intersting detail:

LIFETIME WARRANTY

BowTech warranties its bows with a Lifetime Warranty to the original owner (except for the following exclusions). In short, if it breaks, we will fix it.

EXCLUSIONS

1. Original Owner. Warranty applies to the original owner only and is nontransferable.

2. Components Not Covered. Cables, strings, wheel bushings, bearings, paint and/or film dipped finishes are not included in warranty.

3. Damage Not Covered. Damage caused by abuse, mishandling, dry-firing, alteration or modification to original product, or shooting of arrows less than five grains per pound of draw weight may render the warranty void.

4. Warranty Card. For the Warranty to be in effect, the Warranty card must be completed and properly returned to BowTech – with a copy of the purchase receipt – within 30 days of purchase for Warranty to be in effect.

5. Authorized Dealer. The BowTech Warranty covers only bows bought from Authorized BowTech Dealers. Contact BowTech (888-689-1289) if you are unsure if the person you are buying from is an authorized dealer.

WARRANTY SERVICE

All products returned for warranty service should be returned to the dealer first for inspection and determination of any problem. Your sales representative or a customer service representative can help you determine if factory service is required or if your Pro Shop can repair the problem. The bow owner is responsible for the return freight to BowTech, and BowTech will in turn, pay for the return freight of the repaired product.

In the event that a bow must be returned for factory service, a Return Authorization (RA) number must first be obtained through your sales or customer service representative.

Bows returned to the factory without an RA number will be refused. All bows must include the following:

• A large, readable RA number on the outside of the box.

• A copy of the sales receipt if previously sold.

• Must be sent freight prepaid. No COD shipments will be accepted.

• Do not include accessories unless otherwise instructed. BowTech will not be responsible for loss or damage to any accessory left on the bow when shipped to BowTech.

• All methods of shipping by UPS or FED-EX only. Sender should insure all shipments.

• If your bow cannot be repaired, we reserve the right to replace your bow with a newer model.

• BowTech reserves the right to make parts substitutions on warranty coverage at BowTech’s sole discretion and for any reason.

TURNAROUND TIME

Our goal at BowTech with all warranty returns is to have the bow out the door, shipped back to you within 72 hours after receiving it in our facility. Our customers are our greatest assets and we will give you the highest quality, most efficient service in the industry.

Since there are so many people asking if Bowtech is a good company, well read above. If your still not convinced that your going to pay for a poor product, I can send you more evidence on why not to buy anything that this company makes. My dislike of this company is based on fact, not ideas. I hate to see honest working people get a bad product, especially one that could cost them the trophy of a lifetime..... or bodily harm.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

Very old news! 2 years ago to be exact. (August 7, 2008)

Last edited by formula1; 08-25-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by formula1
Very old news! 2 years ago to be exact. (August 7, 2008)
My words exactly!!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Units: About 8,000
Besides being old news. They fixed ALL that were brought in, not just the ones that had a problem. I'm not sure how our friend viper was harmed, but maybe he will enlighten us as to what happened to him.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:13 PM
bigcountry

Folks I think we are too quick to jump on someone for posting news like this. I know everyone is so loyal to thier product, but the guy was just posting something he heard.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

bc, respectfully, I think he ment as more than just something he heard. He started this line of posting in the Rock vs Marquis thread. I just wondered why?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Seriously old news there viper. See if you can dig up some old recalls on Ol-Man treestands. There are a few of them at least two years old. Maybe you can tell us how bad Firestone tires are and how we might die if we buy them while you are at it.

Who are you affiliated with Viper? Because someone brand new on a forum usually doesn't come in posting two year old recalls and comparing a companies products to someone buying gas from Afghanistan. I sense an agenda here.

If it is made by Bowtech, it is not worth having. Their bows are very poor quality, and have a reputation of being dangerous. Shoot other brands and you will see for yourself quality equipment. In addition, the customer service at Bowtech is sub standard at best. take it from an outdoor enthusiast that have been down the Bowtech road.

Thats not too bad, one model. Quality Control did their homework too.... Wear your safety helmet, and good luck!

I am sad and in mourning that fellow hunters are supplying such a poor company with funding. It is similar to purchasing fuel from Afghan gas stations. Feeding the beast that will eventually cause havoc.
Yeah, I don't think he is simply posting something he "heard" out of concern for his fellow hunters.

z
Old 08-26-2010, 05:06 AM
Spike

The post was to inform owners of their product, to help ensure their safety while using the products. Bowtech has produced very poor products, and I care about my fellow man. As I read through posts and identified so many Bowtech owners, I thought it would be good to post the recall for those who may not be aware of the recall, for one.

If you read some of my other posts on products, you will see that I give credit where credit is due. When there is a quality product that I used and have experience with, I will post my honest opinion to potential buyers. This also holds true when I have a horrible experience, especially when I am physically injured due to a poor product. Is this the reason for blogs, or am I off base???????

Here is my story about Bowtech.

Two years ago I purchased my first bow, Bowtech "The general", as it was the best bow that I shot at my proshop. It did everything that I wanted it to do... for a few weeks. I heard that limb breakage was being experienced with this bow. Mine was returned to the proshop for resolution. After 8 weeks pass, it was finally ready for pickup. When I saw the bow and the fix…. Two big shiny silver pins through the limbs, I was very disappointed. This was not exactly what I wanted in a hunting bow…. The sun reflected off of them like a mirror. I took it home and shot three arrows out of it, the fourth time that I pulled back the bow, I heard a snap and there I stood with blood dripping from my arm. The cam sheared apart which cut the string… and ripped the skin from my arm. I immediately took the bow to the proshop and they interacted with Bowtech. I was blamed for breaking the bow and Bowtech did not agree to replace it. I called the company multiple times and they laughed at me. I paid $900.00 for a product that, was recalled, repaired half way, and then hurt me. How much more does it take to get it replaced. Anyway, they finally agreed to fix the product. When I got the bow back, I took it in the back yard and set fire to it. There is no way that I was shooting the bow again, and I would rather loose 900 bucks than have a fellow hunter hurt or killed by this bad product. This is not the only instance that I am aware of with these products. Gander Mountain in my area had the Diamond lines malfunctioning. The strings would pop off the cam and or wheel.

In Summary, for those who have had good success with Bowtech, consider yourself lucky. I just hope that my post will shed light on this company for potential buyers. It would have been one thing if the bow was repaired correctly, using quality products. It would be another if the company stood behind their product… However, this was not the case and why I must make others aware of my experience. If my post saves one person from bodily harm, then it is well worth the time it takes to write it up and post it here. I understand loyalty, as I served my country, so that we can enjoy the freedom of hunting…safely!
Old 08-26-2010, 05:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Seriously old news there viper. See if you can dig up some old recalls on Ol-Man treestands. There are a few of them at least two years old. Maybe you can tell us how bad Firestone tires are and how we might die if we buy them while you are at it.

Who are you affiliated with Viper? Because someone brand new on a forum usually doesn't come in posting two year old recalls and comparing a companies products to someone buying gas from Afghanistan. I sense an agenda here.

Yeah, I don't think he is simply posting something he "heard" out of concern for his fellow hunters.

z
Maybe you can learn how to correspond to others. This may not be useful information for you, but I doubt your the only member in this forum. I do appreciate your comments, but sometimes it is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubts. I "heard" that somewhere too, and it dates back to Shakespeare!
Old 08-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

Bowtech voluntarily recalled the product to fix the issue. If and that is a big if, it came back to you and you had it come apart on you, Iam sure we would have heard about it on the news or in sport magazines.
You strike me as a big mouth that would not let that go and would probably have sued. you know most people, if that had happened would have pics to back their story up. take the lies back to PSE, we don't need them!!!!
there are many companies that would have pushed this under the rug, instead of coming foward and trying to make it right.

I have never had a bow come apart on me and have owned them all. And in my humble opinion Bowtech is by far the BEST!!!!!

So to all going to by a new bow, go to the proshop and pick the onew that fits you!! Don't just buy a name because that is what everyone is using.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.