Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Releases

Old 08-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default Releases

Can any one suggest a good adjustable release. I have a tru fire release, but it seems too big for me. I don't have huge hands like alot of guys, and it seems like i'm always streching my hand to reach the trigger. I like caliper releases, i just need one that will have a trigger i can reach easily. I try tightening the wrist strap to make it shorter, but it always ends up sliding up. Any suggestions, help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scott Mongosse
Old 08-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

True Fires the Judge works great, and is highly adjustable and wont slip, im not sure they still make it, but im sure they make something close to it. Have you ever thought about switching to a Handle? I shoot the Tru. Ball Handle,and i got the strap to attach it to my wrist(just so i dont lose it). I shoot a lot better with handle then a strap. Just a thought.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by crenshaw
True Fires the Judge works great, and is highly adjustable and wont slip, im not sure they still make it, but im sure they make something close to it. Have you ever thought about switching to a Handle? I shoot the Tru. Ball Handle,and i got the strap to attach it to my wrist(just so i dont lose it). I shoot a lot better with handle then a strap. Just a thought.
Never tried the handle, but that sounds like a good idea to me. Nothing can change with the handle....Have to give it a try. I wish you could try them before you buy them, cuz they don't come all that cheap.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Same message I typed in another release thread.....

I have used probably 10-12 different releases over the past 20 years. Last season I found a release that is without a doubt one of the best I have ever owned. Its the Tru-Fire Edge Buckle Foldback. Its around $75, and well worth the money. It can be put on very quickly, has an adjustablelockable trigger length for different size hands, and folds back and locks in that position so you have full use of your hand. If you like to put your release on your hand when you leave the truck so your prepared on your way to the stand, this is a great choice.
But...I cannot tell you which release is best for you. I would highly suggest visiting your local pro shop with your bow, and shooting it with numerous releases. See which one feels the best to you. If you dont have a string loop on your bow, I would also suggest adding one during your visit. This will give you the best contact point for your new release, and will keep you from torquing your arrow when you draw. It moves your release connection point back about 1/2", so you may have to make adjustments in the release trigger length to feel comfortable.

But keep in mind a few points when selecting a release
=> Ease of attachment
=> Hand clearance - do you need to take it off to climb your tree?
=> How does it feel when you hold at full draw for around 90 seconds?
=> Is the trigger pull and length adjustable to fit you, and is it comfortable?
=> Keep in mind velcro is noisey. I try to avoid velcro attachment, but its just my preference. I can wear out the velcro on a lot of releases in 1-2 seasons.
=> Is it in your price range?

Whatever choice you make, they'll all do the job. Just like buying a new bow, make sure "your" comfortable with it. Shoot releases from all manufacturers and find the best one for you. Good luck with whatever you decide, and best of luck this season.

Don
Old 08-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tru ball short and sweet or true ball beast! They are very adjustable with nice crisp triggers.

Last edited by drockw; 08-29-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Spike

carter 2 shot on and adjustable wrist strap
Old 08-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by drockw
Tru ball short and sweet or true ball beast! They are very adjustable with nice crisp triggers.

Agreed, love my short-n-sweet.