Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunting after work? too late? >

Hunting after work? too late?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting after work? too late?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Spike

Default Hunting after work? too late?

i know its a little ways off but im just getting excited like everyone else. i live in southern new york so perhaps those that live close to me can help me out with an answer.

i work in the office until 245pm and could realistically be in my house at 315. luckily, i hunt right behind my house so i could be up in my tree stand by say 400. do you think this would be too late to be moving through the woods? of course i dont want to spook any deer but i feel that any time in the woods is better than nothing. before the daylight savings time, the "golden hour" when deer are moving is about 530-630pm. i hunt another property on the weekends so i am not as concerned about "ruining" the spot behind my house.

anybody have any experience/advice on how to sneak in a little extra hunting time?? THANKS!!
Old 08-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I work until 3:30 and it takes me a good 45 minutes to get home. I have a good spot right behind my house also(it was better before the armyworms attacked). Before the time change I've got plenty of time to get on stand for an afternoon hunt so I know you will have plenty of time. After we set clocks back I can't do it. If I tried then I'd be walking to my stand right at prime time.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be sneaking back there, at least until the time change. There have been weekends early in the season that I didn't go back out to the stand until close to that time because of the heat anyway.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

It depends on your approach and timing. This also seems to get people caught in the "would'a, could'a, should'a" excuses. I myself am guilty.

Are you spooking deer from the direction you walk in? Or is it too late and deer will be all over the place anyway....Is the stand your hunting in a quick, easy, and quiet to get into?

Regardless, I will take chances and try to sneak into an area so I don't miss the opportunity at the deer I'm after, as long as I feel confident when the deer are moving depending on what I've observed in previous hunts.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to do it all the time when I could hunt just 18 miles from the house. I worked until 3:00 and I was usually in the stand by 4 - 4:30. I have shot most of my deer in the evenings that way.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

When I am on day work i get off @ 3 pm . I'M in stand by 4 and kill a good bit of deer. But once the time change happens I tend to just small game hunt and duck hunt, I get plenty of time off since I work shift wrok
Old 08-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

im in nearly the same situation for bow season. ill be sneakin out there. thats for sure!
Old 08-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only time i is too late is when you give up for the day or do not go. If I can I will go any time. Luckily I can hunt 3 or 4 days of the week when I want to. My go to time is morning, but if I am doing something in the morning I will head out as long as I will have an hour in the stand. I ant going to kill one on the couch
Old 08-14-2010, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

My guide line is that if as long as I can be get out there ,and be in my stand for at least 1.5 hours, I will be there.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt most of my season after work. Hell, in the early part of the season I wait to get out after work. I work until 3:30. The first two weeks, I get home and will head to the stand around 4:30-4:45. After that, it's as soon as I can. When daylight savings time hits, I work until 3 and then up. As far as ur situation, I'd be out there if I had a half hour free when it comes to November.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.