Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hey Bigcountry... >

Hey Bigcountry...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hey Bigcountry...

Old 08-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by YooperMike
As for blood trails, they are very impressive. They do some serious damage.
Now that's what I needed to hear to make me feel even better!

Originally Posted by YooperMike
I've also not shot a head that gets pass throughs like a Slick does.
That's a new concern for me now, even though it's a very minor one. I was getting full pass throughs with 1 3/4" mechs and I was pulling the arrows out of the dirt That's where they always got damaged. Now I'm thinking about what all of that excess energy is going to do to these heads as it drives it WAY down into the dirt. I'm not too concerned about that though. I just want a good blood trail for once. Remember, I'm colorblind. I can follow a good blood trail, but not a bad one.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by rackattack17
hows the blood trail with these slick tricks?
Almost 2.5" of cutting surface, four blades, what do you think?

Honestly, I have shot deer with no name k-mart crap, to ones that were serrated like a steak knife back in the 80's to thunderheads for 15 years, to montecs, to spitfires, now slicks. If you hit any deer in the boilerroom, blood trails never been an issue with any of em.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

i was looking into sharpeners for my bloodrunners and i thought about going with a diamond plate that i saw at the store, its supposed to be for knives but it looked like it would work well.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

Just buy new blades for your tricks. I made a tester out of a square and some elastic bands. You push your broadhead through and when the rubber bands get cut off, you know they are sharp enough.

I use sanding paper, grid 1000 and then grid 2000, just strike any blade a few times both sides and they get sharp.
There's some good tutorials on sharpening blades on youtube.
But best way to sharpen is to use japanese waterstones but they are expensive, same as belgian cuticole claystone....
Old 08-13-2010, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LittleChief
Now that's what I needed to hear to make me feel even better!

That's a new concern for me now, even though it's a very minor one. I was getting full pass throughs with 1 3/4" mechs and I was pulling the arrows out of the dirt That's where they always got damaged. Now I'm thinking about what all of that excess energy is going to do to these heads as it drives it WAY down into the dirt. I'm not too concerned about that though. I just want a good blood trail for once. Remember, I'm colorblind. I can follow a good blood trail, but not a bad one.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. For what the replacement blades cost, you'll be ok. I've reshot several of them that have driven wayyyy into the ground, same blades and all. Tough to predict whats under the leaves though. If there's a rock, no head is going to be pristine after that. The ferrules will generally be unharmed though, so only new blades are necessary. You won't be disappointed!
Old 08-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't know if they had replacement blades...now that I know that, I will more than likely be purchasing some in the coming days. Tips on tuning with them? Any different than with other heads, or easier ways to go about it?