Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
New to Bow Hunting....Whats a good follow Thru? >

New to Bow Hunting....Whats a good follow Thru?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to Bow Hunting....Whats a good follow Thru?

Old 08-09-2010, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default New to Bow Hunting....Whats a good follow Thru?

Can you please help describe how a good release looks/feels/ etc??? I am new to bow hunting and not real sure if I'm following thru correctly or not. Trying to avoid bad habits right out of the gate. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

well, as i leave my hand open on the grip, after i shoot i allow the bow to "fall" if you will....thats what the wrist strap is for..imo
Old 08-09-2010, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
well, as i leave my hand open on the grip, after i shoot i allow the bow to "fall" if you will....thats what the wrist strap is for..imo
Good, I do have a wrist strap so that helps. Thank you
Old 08-09-2010, 06:45 AM
bigcountry

Just letting a bow fall is not all followthru.

In fact, I highly discourage all shooters, especially new ones from putting so much stabilizer up front they need to catch a bow. I have seen it so many times start horrible gripping and torquing.

Followthru is push and pull. When you release, you should be pulling thru the shot. If you find your gripping the release and your hand is beside your face after the shot, your not following thru. If you hand goes back behind your ear straight back, thats follow thru. The shot should be sorta surprising. The bow arm should be dead solid, not flailing around or the bow pushed left or right. The bow should be left to do what it wants after the shot.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

i noticed that you said new,
what helped me the most was, putting my knuckle behind my jaw bone under my ear lobe, same place everytime.
go squirrel huntin before headin out fer deer....a live target is way different that your bag.
get a friggen range finder with arc technology. every inch literally counts!!!!
USE THE RANGE FINDER!!!!! lol
play the wind..
read this.... http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowh...o-dont-do.html
Old 08-09-2010, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
. The bow should be left to do what it wants after the shot.
it wants to fall
Old 08-09-2010, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry

In fact, I highly discourage all shooters, especially new ones from putting so much stabilizer up front they need to catch a bow. I have seen it so many times start horrible gripping and torquing.

Followthru is push and pull. When you release, you should be pulling thru the shot. If you find your gripping the release and your hand is beside your face after the shot, your not following thru. If you hand goes back behind your ear straight back, thats follow thru. The shot should be sorta surprising. The bow arm should be dead solid, not flailing around or the bow pushed left or right. The bow should be left to do what it wants after the shot.
i would also bet he aint gonna sling em traditionally. there is no lettin your hand keep goin backwards, your simply pulllin a trigger?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you for the input. Much appreciated! For me its kinda like golf. When I hit a great shot in golf I can't really tell you what I was thinking in my back swing, it just happened. When I toss a good arrow at the target I can't really think of why it was better than the last arrow that was off a bit?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
i would also bet he aint gonna sling em traditionally. there is no lettin your hand keep goin backwards, your simply pulllin a trigger?
You're missing the point, what BC is talking about is using back tension and pulling through the shot, and he is RIGHT, for good follow through, the hand should be pulling back in such a fashion, if not, often times the shooter is "punching" the trigger. Now don't get me wrong, I've seen some guys put up some pretty impressive scores that were "trigger-punchers," but more often than not, trigger punching is a BAD THING.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OHbowhntr
You're missing the point, what BC is talking about is using back tension and pulling through the shot, and he is RIGHT, for good follow through, the hand should be pulling back in such a fashion, if not, often times the shooter is "punching" the trigger. Now don't get me wrong, I've seen some guys put up some pretty impressive scores that were "trigger-punchers," but more often than not, trigger punching is a BAD THING.
I whole heartedly agree with this. Have shot competitively for many years and if you want to shoot your best you learn to shoot with back tension and just let the shot happen.

You made a good comparison to golf, although they are two different sports. To be consistent in golf you need to learn to keep your head down, looking directly at the ball or whatever position you intend the head of the club to impact. The same goes for archery in that you concentrate on where you want the arrow to go. You concentrate on the center of the target. Just as in golf, if you execute correctly you have little need to see the ball going. In archery you don't need to see the arrow going. It should be right where you sight was aiming at the release; and you keep on aiming after the arrow has left the bow. Yes, the bow will drop or tilt or do whatever it will according to hhow it's balanced, but the point is that you never break the concentration of aiming.

35 years ago I had a very good coach. A couple things he taught me and was constantly whispering behind me were these:

1. Aim the bow, aim the bow, aim the bow.
2. You don't need to see the arrow go. The best shots you ever make will be the ones that you don't see.

From this second idea I have no need of lighted nocks. I find them an extreme distraction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.