Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
New to Bow Hunting....Whats a good follow Thru? >

New to Bow Hunting....Whats a good follow Thru?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to Bow Hunting....Whats a good follow Thru?

Old 08-10-2010, 06:53 AM
Spike

I'm new and still constantly playing around with my form and attempting to be as consistent as possible, so I won't give you any suggestions on form.

However, it seems for me that my best, most accurate shots are the ones when just a split-second before I release, it's almost like I just know where the arrow is going -- like everything feels right and I'm actually looking beyond the pin and just into the spot and I'm "thinking" the arrow to the target. It's weird and hard to explain. Conversely, when I make a bad shot, I know it almost just before I release.

Also since I currently shoot fingers I try my best to just let my fingers come off the string with as little motion as possible, trying to mimic a mechanical release in the sense that there is as little friction or movement on the string at the moment of release. If I try to do some fancy release with all sorts of flourish (like in the movies), I think I tend to torque the bow to the right or left and I miss horribly.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:24 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
it wants to fall
Thats because you don't have the bow balanced. I set up all my bows to be dead in the hand after the shot.

But I am a hunter not a field archer.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

i would also bet he aint gonna sling em traditionally. there is no lettin your hand keep goin backwards, your simply pulllin a trigger?
If your doing it right,your not squeezing the trigger.The hand will snap back at the shot.Of course there are times in a hunting situation where a command shot is warranted.

Some video of me messing around.I did command the wrist release a little in this clip but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxOwEPsvHVQ

Some video to help get you headed in the right direction.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...post1056428169
Old 08-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Thats because you don't have the bow balanced. I set up all my bows to be dead in the hand after the shot.

But I am a hunter not a field archer.

I set my bow up with a little weight forward,they hold better for me this way but I don't let the bow fall forward to the ground after the shot either.Most "hunting" bows will sit really dead in the hand after the shot.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i did a lil shooting, and sure enough , my hand is goin backwards after the shot...i guess i never paid attention to it, as i usually just keep the shot in my vision i guess...my bow aint fallin forward, but basically just balances on the web of my thumb and pointer finger as i grab it, again never really noticed..but the arrow is long gone by the time i am closing my hand.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:28 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by TFOX
I set my bow up with a little weight forward,they hold better for me this way but I don't let the bow fall forward to the ground after the shot either.Most "hunting" bows will sit really dead in the hand after the shot.
Mine too. Alot better than falling back.

I respectfully disagree however with new folks buying these huge stabilizers. Some, like you I am sure, have a good grip and never torque. But I have seen new shooter after new shooter, want to catch the bow. Its mental, and develop some aweful habits, and whatever they gained stabilizing windage, they lost on a horrible grip.

Good looking followthru you have.

Last edited by bigcountry; 08-10-2010 at 02:37 PM.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:30 PM
bigcountry

i did a lil shooting, and sure enough , my hand is goin backwards after the shot...i guess i never paid attention to it, as i usually just keep the shot in my vision i guess...my bow aint fallin forward, but basically just balances on the web of my thumb and pointer finger as i grab it, again never really noticed..but the arrow is long gone by the time i am closing my hand.
Sounds like your ready for the olympics. Rarely do I find someone that has perfect mechanics, even myself, and didn't even try to perfect it. I myself have worked on it for years. Your a rare person.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back tension with all releases. Notice how the bow falls as it wants.
http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv...&v=IQpjuzkQXk4