Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
oregon antelope hunt gone bad >

oregon antelope hunt gone bad

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

oregon antelope hunt gone bad

Old 08-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Spike

Default oregon antelope hunt gone bad

I just came back from my oregon antelope hunt that started aug1st. What a roller coaster ride that was.the most amazing hunt i have been on.I was out for a true trophy and spent many hours scouting and sittin in the blind waiting for that perfect buck.after the 3rd 16 hour day in the blind I have finally had picked the buck i wanted and was ready to make the shot.twenty yards broadside i draw back and tink my arrow falls off the string. six more times i tried to draw back and the arrow does the same thing and i watch the buck of a lifetime walk off.what happend... my arrows were cut a 1/2'' to short and my broadhead was hitting my riser causing my arrow to pop off my string.what a disaster.frustrated i pack my blind and head to the truck i am heading home.as i think about it i remebered i had a stump shootin arrow in the bed of my truck.so i decided if i see one on the way out i will stalk it.the last draw before the boundry there is a buck and doe. i sneek around the bluff and there he is. not the biggest i had seen but an ok buck so i take the 50yd shot and drop him in his tracks. the roller coaster has came to a stop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmjkAAKX7TA
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a...k/PIC_0087.jpg
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a...k/PIC_0084.jpg
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a...k/PIC_0086.jpg
Old 08-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

why is this gone bad?
Old 08-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Nice goat!! Its sound like you had all the patience in the stand to hold out for that "one" that you wanted to take.. My only questions is that why if your determined to get that buck of a lifetime and spend all those hours in the stand why didn't you shoot your arrows with the broadheads on them prior to the hunt.. I would think that this is one of the first things in prepping for a hunt like this.. I shoot one arrow right before I head out to the woods (tipped with a broadhead) regardless of the game (deer,turkey,bear, etc..) just make sure everything is just right..
Old 08-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm confused? Didn't you shoot your bow before you went on this hunt? If you had you'd have known your arrows were cut short? I'm just confused that's all. Nice speedgoat either way.

Ryan.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Spike

you know that is a good queation infact one i ask myself and i have no good answer.I used to always shoot my broadheads first before a hunt but with my set up it has been pointless( or not) to shoot them after i spin tune them I am always dead on with my set up.I liked the fresh sharp blades.I always shoot the same arrow eaton axis 400 28.5" with a 100gr.g5 montec and never have any problems or never have to change my pins from field tips to broadheads they shoot the same out of my xlr8. but this trip my arrows came in 2 days before the hunt so i slapped in some field tips and they shot great put on my broadheads and hit the road. so long story short equiptment check is very important cause murphys law is in effect. my arrows were at 28" not 28.5" the field tips cleared the riser but the broadheads caught

Last edited by blacktail4ever; 08-07-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Spike

kinda the point was to the thread is even when you sure check again
Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default carpenter's rule

Measure twice, cut once......
Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Spike

Only problem pro shop cut my arrows