Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Do you shoot with one eye open? >

Do you shoot with one eye open?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: How do you shoot your vertical bow?
Both eyes open
50.72%
One eye closed
36.23%
Both ways, depending upon the light conditions
13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Do you shoot with one eye open?

Old 08-11-2010, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

took me a few weeks to get used to shooting with both eyes open but i just started out shooting close (around 10 yards) until i got comfortable with it. shoot much better once i got the hang of it.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some folks just can't do the both eyes open thing.
I refuse to believe that I am incapable or relearning a habit like closing an eye - and because I did it, I KNOW others can.

I am extremely left eye dominant, I am 100% right handed.

I will not change to shoot left handed because my mind/body has learned a lifetime how to coordinate this.

I will not close an eye, doing so would (A) lose field of view and (B) depth perception and (C) would be against everything I do 99.9999999999 % of the rest of the time.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ranger77
I refuse to believe that I am incapable or relearning a habit like closing an eye - and because I did it, I KNOW others can.

I will not change to shoot left handed because my mind/body has learned a lifetime how to coordinate this.

I will not close an eye, doing so would (A) lose field of view and (B) depth perception and (C) would be against everything I do 99.9999999999 % of the rest of the time.
Okay... so YOU happen to be capable of teaching yourself to do that. It doesn't change the fact that some people can't do it. Some people can't say "aluminum" or "indubitably" either. It's just the way things are. Everyone isn't made the same.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok, whatever, ignore the facts

I'm all for everyone shooting however they want to, but do it knowing you've just reduced your binocular vision to monocular and you've reduced your field of view and depth perception

I'm sure none of that matters to anybody who would want to bowhunt though
Old 08-12-2010, 03:23 PM
bigcountry

But I remember post after post of you crying that your getting inconsistent shooting. maybe its thats vertigo.

I am just saying.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was wondering that myself. I do left shut right open. I am left eye dom but have been able to adjust my sights. Keeps people from asking to borrow my guns and bow when I tell them they would be way off to the left they shut up.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm all for everyone shooting however they want to, but do it knowing you've just reduced your binocular vision to monocular and you've reduced your field of view and depth perception

Wow! I missed this somehow. What in the world are you talking about? You really should try reading the whole thread before you throw out sarcasms. I DO shoot with both eyes open and encourage everyone else that can to do the same for the EXACT same reasons you say it's a good idea. I'm simply stating that there are some people who find that it's not possible for them. I don't understand your hang-up with that unless you're just one of those people who isn't happy unless they're arguing.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot both eyes open until I get to around 40 yards, then for some reason I close one eye. Guess I need to start practicing both open out to 60.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you are zeroed in on a hair of a spot on the shoulder of a deer that you already know the distance on, why in the world would it matter if you've decreased your field of vision or your depth perception??

Last edited by wallhangr; 08-13-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: edit
Old 08-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by wallhangr
When you are zeroed in on a hair of a spot on the shoulder of a deer that you already know the distance on, why in the world would it matter if you've decreased your field of vision or your depth perception??

I can tell you from experience,that when you get a deer inside 10 yards and have 1 eye closed,it is very difficult to know exactly where your pin is at on the deer.

Whenever possible 1 should try to learn how to shoot with both eyes open.There are exceptions but MOST people can learn to do it.Like I stated earlier,if you can't,there is usually a reason.One of the biggest is not having the peep in the right location.This causes you to contort your head so you can see through the peep but you are not able to open the other eye comfortably.

It does take practice and in some cases it may take a couple to 3 weeks to get used to but like I said,most can do it.

If you are not shooting with your dominant eye,I advise switching.Or atleast giving it an honest try.

My own daughter shoots lefty because of her eye dominance but is right handed and she does fine with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.