Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Do you shoot with one eye open? >

Do you shoot with one eye open?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: How do you shoot your vertical bow?
Both eyes open
50.72%
One eye closed
36.23%
Both ways, depending upon the light conditions
13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Do you shoot with one eye open?

Old 08-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Do you shoot with one eye open?

Someone wrote that you should try to shoot the bow with both eyes open yesterday.....something I do not do so I tried it. It was hard to get used to, but I think I like it. I will continue to work on getting comfortable with it...although I am running out of time as early bow season is only 1 month away.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both eyes open here. I thing you've really got plenty of time to get used to it. You'll be amazed at how quickly it becomes second nature to you and once it does you won't believe the difference.
Everyone can't do it though. It's difficult if not impossible for a right handed shooter who is left eye dominant or vice versa.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have tried to shoot with both eyes open, but have not got it down yet. So for now, it is one open, and one shut.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm about 50/50 usually both open hunting, and one eye in competition.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

I went out tonight and practiced some more with both eyes open. The coolest thing is watching the arrow fly to the target. I lnow you can see it when you shoot with one eye closed, but it is like the difference between normal TV and HD TV.

I am able to group pretty well at 25 yards. Right now it is a bit harder to move onto target and shot quickly, grouing well, but that should come with practice.

I like it.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bow, shotgun, rifle, pistol, bb gun...

All should be shot with both eyes open...
Old 08-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Spike

i am a two eye shooter i found i fallow threw better when i watch my arrow fly after
Old 08-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to shoot both eyes closed, but that didnt work out so good. Seriously, I'm left eye dominant and shoot right handed. I'd like to shoot both eyes open but I just cant do it. I showed the guys at the range what happens when I use two eyes, not only did I miss the target but I sent an arrow sailing into the woods. I can train my eye to shoot both open, but if I'm not concentrating, its a big miss. I'd hate to have that happen when hunting.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

closing an eye you lose field of view and all depth perception

do you close one eye drinking coffee? typing on a computer? opening a door? driving a car?

if you close an eye shooting your bow, there is a problem with eye dominance that you're ignoring or maybe a habit you've formed, and you can shoot all your life that way if you want to, but know what you're losing by doing it. finding what the cause of it is and fixing it opens a lot of doors (field of vision and depth perception being two very impoirtant thing bincoular vision provides vs monocular)
Old 08-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

I used to shoot with both eyes open but over the years my left eye took over as the dominate eye. Now if I try to shoot with both eyes open the arrow flies far to the left of the Target

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.