Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Lets share our "not so obvious" bowhunting tips. >

Lets share our "not so obvious" bowhunting tips.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lets share our "not so obvious" bowhunting tips.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Spike

Cover up the shiny logo's on your archery equipment.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default Very important

Don't eat beans for breakfast...
Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Walk heel to toe through the woods, and walk slow. I place my heel down then transfer my weight to middle of the foot. If I sense a branch or something else hard beneath my foot I will pick up that foot and set it down somewhere else.

Get in the woods early. I like to get in at least 1.5 hours before sunrise, make for a long day but it has paid off a lot of times as I see what trails they are on and can reposition midday of need be.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

good tip twodogs! i was told that when i first started hunting. didn't even think of posting that.

i think this is a really good thread you started burlyman. thanks!

lets keep the tips coming........
Old 08-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Here's a tip if you're on public property and using a logging trail or road to access your stand location and want to keep your stand hidden from other hunters as long as possible. Vary the exact spot where you leave the trail to head to your stand. If you use the same spot to walk from the trail to the stand, the vegetation on the side of the road will get trampled after a few passes...leading every hunter that comes in after you right to your tree. Out of sight, out of mind. Some hunters are lazy and will just follow any trail to an established tree-stand site. I try to make it as hard for that type as possible so that they don't bust my location for the deer when I'm not around.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 that have stuck with me for 20 years...

#1 - Take the first available shot. If a deer is broadside at 30 and you're comfortable...shoot. You don't get too many opportunities.

#2 - Sit the hell still. I see way to many hunters that look around like they are expecting a stampede. Many deer that come in may have seen a movement way before they get to you and know where to look...even if they don't know what they are looking at.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will also add that branches around your stand are a wonderful plus.

That'll help you hide.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Whitetailaddict13
heres something i picked up from someone. i hunt near a lot of apple trees during bow season. i was thinking of a good snack to bring with me on long sits without putting odd scents into the air. apples! i dont know why i had never thought of it before.
Same here. We call it our portable/potable bait pile. Grab a couple apples for the long sit. When you are done just let the core fly at the nearest annoying blue jay.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

KE is a worthless measure or energy when applied to archery

"heavy" arrows = 12-14 grains per pound of draw - are your arrows heavy?

broadheads are exceptionally important, don't use cheap ones, don't use ones that can fail, don't use ones that are a fad

prepare your bowhunting setup like you prepare for a roadtrip across the USA. you take a spare tire don't you? why? you've got excellent tires, the chances of a flat are not high right? but you prepare for the worst ....... same thing with bowhunting. Prepare your euipment to handle worst case sceanrios .... ie bad hits, and if they ever happen your chances of a lethal hit remains high. If your setup is good only when things go right, its like traveling without a spare tire ......
Old 08-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

yep i agree Ranger77. carry an extra release. carry an extra grunt call or can call or any call. thhings do get dropped from the tree! ive had to climb down right at day light to get my release. i was not happy. now i carry an extra

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.