Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Lets share our "not so obvious" bowhunting tips. >

Lets share our "not so obvious" bowhunting tips.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lets share our "not so obvious" bowhunting tips.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use your bow to break up your outline in the tree when deer are around.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

1. work out with your bow. build your strength up in your shoulders. it will make it easier for you to draw and will allow you to hold at a full draw longer.

2. be observant. i have taken many deer easily because I saw them coming and was at full draw before they were in front of me. i did not have to worry about the perfect time to pull back.

3. this is a mix for a first time hunter and a new bow hunter. I took plenty of deer with a gun, but the biggest thrill of bowhunting for me, is and was the skill involved in taking a deer with a bow. my first deer with a bow was a little buck. I shot three more does before i got another buck and i was tickled to death with taking them as well.

4. wear a harness. when you are about to take a deer and you get that rush and at the same time you are focusing with your sights on your bow, you can get like a tunnel vision mixed with diziness. maybe thats only me but either way, it aint a good way to be when you are on a 2x2 platform 20 plus feet off the ground.

5. dont practice yourself till you get tired out, you will form sloppy shooting habits

6. this may sound silly, but i like to imagine a deer at different spots while i am in my stand. how will they come in, where might they stop, where would be a good time to pull back etc. it helps me get ready for my shot and it has helped me many times

7. if you are tracking a deer, nock an arrow. you have your gun ready if you need to take another shot, why wouldnt you have your bow ready as well.

8. this is common knowledge but no one told me. bring a rope and tie it to you bow so when you get up in your stand and you get right you can pull your bow up. the first time I went bow hunting was my first time in a climber and when I got up there and got right i realized i had damaged my sight because i was dragging the bow up the tree as I climbed. its common sense and i felt so stupid for not thinking it through.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by [B
V8Ranger[/b]
3. Call often. At least every 10 to 15 minutes. And do it loud. You have to remember, your trying to get a deer to come to you from at least 100 plus yards away most of the time. And if they cant hear you call they wont come over...
Originally Posted by shoot2thrill25
I have killed a lot of deer, and I have only called in one of them. That was a buck who was in a very cranky mood. I think most people would say to call less. If you hear someone talking, but you dont see anyone aren't you going to think something screwy is going on? If that works for you then keep it up!
I guess I didn't word that quite right. If your "going" to be calling, then thats my opinion of what/how you should do it. It works for me when there is no activity. You have to remember, there could be deer 100 plus yards away that you cant see. but they can hear you..
Old 08-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Spike

agreed!!! rambunctious, loud calling almost never works, after all how many times when you are in the woods have you head a deer calling really loud? its usually the guy with his rattle bag and grunt call making a super buck world war three battle
Old 08-09-2010, 01:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by indiana/arrower
agreed!!! rambunctious, loud calling almost never works, after all how many times when you are in the woods have you head a deer calling really loud? its usually the guy with his rattle bag and grunt call making a super buck world war three battle
Do you think a deer will hear you from 100 plus yards away if you are calling quietly?? No... You all are missing my point....
So its quiet, your seeing no deer. Your "rattling" is not bringing in anything. So then your going to call quietly? If your rattling and quiet calling didn't produce any deer, then you need to call loud so if there are deer 100 plus yards away, they might finally hear you and come check it out..... Just because your loud, doesn't mean the deer is hearing it that way.... IF you want somethings/someones attention, you get louder so they will hear you... Everyone has there different hunting tricks that work. It doesn't mean it will work for everyone, in every situation, in every area. Everyone, has to find out for them selves whats going to work for the deer where your at, and that might not even work the next year. What brought them in last year, might spook them this year.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by V8Ranger
Do you think a deer will hear you from 100 plus yards away if you are calling quietly?? No... You all are missing my point....
So its quiet, your seeing no deer. Your "rattling" is not bringing in anything. So then your going to call quietly? If your rattling and quiet calling didn't produce any deer, then you need to call loud so if there are deer 100 plus yards away, they might finally hear you and come check it out..... Just because your loud, doesn't mean the deer is hearing it that way.... IF you want somethings/someones attention, you get louder so they will hear you... Everyone has there different hunting tricks that work. It doesn't mean it will work for everyone, in every situation, in every area. Everyone, has to find out for them selves whats going to work for the deer where your at, and that might not even work the next year. What brought them in last year, might spook them this year.
I hear what your saying, if you gonna call, make it worth while. No need to waste oxygen and call so soft they can't hear ya. During the rut, especially.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Spike

1) If a deer has spotted you don't fall for the triple headfake. No matter what it does I plan for the deer to snap up from a feeding position at least 3 times.
2) If you have a doe in front of you watch her ears. If she has one pointing behind her she is listening for something that may be trailing. They keep those things on a swivel like a radar dish.
3) This may be the oddest, but if I'm wtg for a deer to make its way closer I don't make eye contact with the deer. Instead, I focus on where the deer is heading and the spot behind the shoulder.
4) Sit still and take in the show. Even if the deer action is slow, its sure fun to watch the woods come alive in the morning.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:27 AM
Spike

Dont think this has been said. A deer will almost always flick the tail before it does action such as ,
Before looking up from feeding ( if relaxed)
Before going back to feeding or resume walking, after looking at something.
Before jumping a fence

Always hunt the wind!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Calling Reference: I never say call less or more, depends on the state of mind with of the buck. Why are you calling again? To tick him off or mask his nervousness, or to make him horny?

The Approach & Departure: Give yourself plenty of time...when approaching or departing the stand, consider the wind...duh. What about the terrain? Or the lighting? Use shadows, hills, tree/brush lines, etc., anything to hide your presence while approaching. When dark, keep your light pointed to the ground in front of you as much as possible. It is much easier to notice a light from a distance that is being waived around head high. Keep in mind also though that some of these areas you are walking could be the same runways the deer are using, so stay as scent free as possible.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Poop before you leave for the woods. If not, alwas have TP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.