Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
muzzy 3 or 4 blade >

muzzy 3 or 4 blade

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

muzzy 3 or 4 blade

Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default muzzy 3 or 4 blade

i have always shot 3 blade with good results and good blood trails. i have a hoyt katera and i have great FPS and K-energy. i have not shot a deer with this bow and not got a complete pass thru. i was thinking about switching to a 4 blade broadhead since i am not to worried about passthru. do you guys think this will make a notacible diff in my blood trail?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a BIG beleiver in "If it ain't broke don't fix it".
Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

I shoot the 125 grain 3 blade muzzy. I think the 3 blade gives you a bigger hole, even tho' there's less blades. I figure there's not much a fourth blade is going to dissect that the 3 blade wouldn't also have cut. (on the other hand, I think there's a big cutting advantage to 3 blades over 2 blades)
Old 07-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to be a die-hard Muzzy man, they are definately a good broadhead. I used to shoot the 100gr. 3 blade and had many pass-throughs. I recently went to the Rage 2 blade and can actually say that they are better. Everything from the way they fly to the way they slice a deers hide, these are some good broadheads. They (Rage) are alittle more pricier but well worth it. Don't get me wrong, Muzzy's are awesome too.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot them both but I like the 4 blade better. I can't say one kills more dead than the other but I get better flight with the 4 blade. Can't go wrong either way.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The three blade would be easier to tune, the mx3's are pretty nice they have the shorter ferrul on them making them more consistent.

Ryan.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by my7pointmonster
The three blade would be easier to tune,

Ryan.

Why do you say that ? I haven't found that to be the case.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
Why do you say that ? I haven't found that to be the case.

well if you have your bow firing on all cylinders so to speak you can take the blades and line them with the vanes and that makes it fly nicer, which obviously makes for less drag, 4 blades theres' only 1 that can be lined up. I've always done it and I don't use the ones that don't line up. I don't know seems logical to me everything's in line less drag and more like a field tip.

Ryan.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

since switching to mx3s from the standard 3 blade muzzy I havent had a deer leave my sight after being hit. Which to me is a beautiful thing.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by shoot2thrill25
since switching to mx3s from the standard 3 blade muzzy I havent had a deer leave my sight after being hit. Which to me is a beautiful thing.

Good to hear you've had luck with them, I think that any head can be as deadly as any other head its just more about placement and there's so many variables to them, I've seen deer run with no heart for hundreds of yards, and I've seen them hit in the liver and go 25 yards and pile up, from what I can gather it almost seems like some deer just have no will to live after they've been wounded, granted some aren't like this, even the vast majority aren't but I can remember my friend shooting a buck that was all beat down and he hit it in the brisket with a rifle, that deer laid there and did nothing and he just jacked another shell in and put the hammer down on it, but the deer just showed no desire to live at least that was my take on it. I also think that if you stop the deer by making that mmmp noise it puts a shot of adrenaline into them and that makes them go on that adrenaline rush, kinda like if your walking through the woods and you don't see someone and they yell Boo! I have weird points of view but I just sorta think that any head can kill a deer really if placed correctly. Not doubting your success with the new heads or doubting your story at all just throwing my experience and opinion out there.

Ryan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.