Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 RE-crossbows-everybody read! >

RE-crossbows-everybody read!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

RE-crossbows-everybody read!

Old 07-01-2003, 09:00 PM

Default RE-crossbows-everybody read!

They approved crossbows her last year.Anybody can use them in archery-primtive or gun season.We fought but lost,your state may be next!
Old 07-01-2003, 09:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: RE-crossbows-everybody read!

Crossbow or not, it came way before the compound bow did.

What' s primitive to you? The crossbow came along way before the so called primitive black powder guns did. If you want to hunt in an actual primitive season then use a spear or log bow. Gun powder of any kind is crainly not primitive.

What are you complaining about? Any hunting that we gain and can do legall is a pluss in my book.

I do not use one just because I choose not to but that' s just me.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:00 PM

bigbulls,

I couldn' t have said it better myself and I am from the same state as bullsi.

FWIW, I just bought me a new compound bow; however, I have been rather amused at the rather " elitist" attitude many bow hunters have taken in Georgia since crossbows were approved for archery season.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:11 AM

The more hunting freedom we have the better!
Mike,-
Old 07-02-2003, 06:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Indiana has a similar law in place starting this year , and our bowhunting community seems to be appalled . Crossbows can be legally used by all in our Late Archery season for does only , but the disabled may use them all through the hunting seasons . I own a crossbow and plan to hunt with it this year to extend my hunting opportunities , I have been using strictly muzzleloaders up until now . Personally , I welcome the opportunity to do this , but I seem to be in the minority for now . The reason your state allows certain weapons is to maximize the number of deer taken in their continuing efforts to improve the resource for all , and to more effectively balance the herd numbers . Indiana opened up the crossbow to all because we just weren' t taking enough deer each year with all the other weapons available , especially does , and because there was interest in using one for hunting . Up until now the crossbow owner had little more than an interesting " toy" to shoot at targets with , but wasn' t allowed to hunt with them . I applaund our Dept. of Natural Resources for making this decision , especially since they arrived at it facing considerable resistance from the archery community . I fail to understand why anyone who bowhunts would feel so threatened by a simple tool . In my state the bowhunters view crossbows with contempt at best , and actively campained to have them excluded from the Early Archery season . Many did so on the pretext that a crossbow wasn' t " archery equipment" , which I' m sure any IBO member would dispute if only with reluctance . Once the deer is dead it makes no difference how it got that way . A tool is a tool regardless of what it looks like or how it works . Instead of dreading them I would reccomend that you try shooting one first , if you don' t like it then don' t buy one . I always encourage anyone who shows interest in hunting to try it , and let them make their own choices about what tool they want to use . Hunting is a tradition that must be passed on from one generation to the next if we want it to survive , and times change whether we want them to or not . If you can' t embrace the crossbow at least accept that others do , and that they have just as much right to hunt as you do .
Old 07-02-2003, 07:03 AM

What Im I complaining about they dont belong in archery season or do they?See the tread bashing crossbows I started.Im all for them.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:29 AM

I would say that the main argument that bowhunters put up is that in order to shoot a bow, you have to do a lot of setup and practice to be able to hunt with it. It is not something you do overnight, although many an idiot has tried. Not so with a crossbow.

The main fear is that you will have a bunch of yahoos that will buy their crossbow one day and be in the woods with it the next. They also have a decided advantage over a regular bow because they do not have to be drawn. I would have put many more deer down myself if I didn' t have to get the draw on them. It is definitely one of the more difficult aspects of bowhunting.

Plain and simple, many bowhunters feel that a crossbow is a shortcut that takes away the very challenges that we all live for. I love the challenge myself and would only use a crossbow if I couldn' t use my compound.

Personally, I' m not against them. I am kind of on the fence as to whether they should be allowed during archery only season though. I feel that they would fit in better during the muzzle loader season, but that' s just me.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Bullsi ,
why doesn' t something legally defined as " archery equipment" belong in any archery season ? Your position makes no sense , and cannot be defended logically . See my response to your other thread for the full explanation of my views on the subject . I respect your opinion , but it doesn' t make sense . And please don' t bring up Pope and Young , they don' t set the legal standards in any state . They also don' t speak for every bowhunter , just the ones who want their name in a ecord book .
Old 07-02-2003, 09:13 AM

I own a crossbow and plan to hunt with it this year to extend my hunting opportunities , I have been using strictly muzzleloaders up until now
If you wanted to extend your hunting opportunities why don' t you use a bow?????

Is it because shooting a crossbow is soooo easy, and requires no real skill?????

IF a Crossbow is SOOO much like a Coumpound - then Why do only " gun" hunters use them in archery season?????? IF it was really an Archery impliment and those shooting them where really archers- these people would already have bows and hunting in the bow season.

I fail to understand why anyone who bowhunts would feel so threatened by a simple tool
Its not really the tool, but all the " NON Archers" that will be running around during archery season.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:38 AM

Kevin I agree It does not make sence.In our state you can use a crossbow with a scope any time during the hunting season.but in primtive season(muzzel loader&bow)you can not use a scope on your gun but,can on your bow or crossbow.Does this make sence.Is a muzzel loader or my compond bow primtive no I dont think so.A recurve or long bow or crossbow is primtive weapons.A muzzel loader belongs in gun season.A recurve,long bow and crossbow belong in primitive weapons season.In archery season is were a compond,recurve,long bow and crossbow belong.Scopes should only be legal on guns.One hunter said they took a week away from archery season for muzzel season but you can hunt all season with a bow,does this make sence.I bow hunt in archery season sometimes right by a dove field less than a 100yds shot guns going off all over the place and killed many a deer.So if you want peace and quit hunt in a archery only area.Its like a catch 22.Is it fair that we can use a bow in gun season but you can not use a gun in archery season . This our great government at work.Its all about the dollar
To be politality correct there shold be two season archery and gun, or just one season were you can use the weapon of choice?

Quick Reply: RE-crossbows-everybody read!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.