Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 07-10-2010, 03:46 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Nope - look at all sides and facts and make a decision - which is always open to being adjusted should more facts surface. Seeing 75% of the bowhunters on a major forum agree with me is merely affirmation of my already set opinion.

This is a public thread in the bowhunting section - anyone is welcome to post until a mod says different - in spite of BC rules.
I don't think so. I think if on AT if 76% said they were opposed, you would be sitting here with a different tune. Some go with the crowd, some go their own way.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Bruce, we took that bow tuning class together 7-8 years ago in B-more. I sat beside you two days. I asked about hunting down in Southern MD, and you said crowded. Guess now on the forum, its just the open range down there.

Maybe since its so open down there, they can have open range graze laws in Southern MD. Surprised you don't see buffalo herds roll thru all that DC suberb.
That was in early 2007, maybe 3 1/2 years ago. I may have been relating a day I saw more hunters than usual but even in a case like that I am talking about 10 or so hunters on 800 acres. Once everyone leaves the parking lot you won't see them again.

Maybe it is that crowded up north where you hunt but it just isn't like that down here. If you ever wanted to make the drive, maybe in the morning for an afternoon hunt, come on down. I can show you some pretty decent spots. It usually takes some hiking to them though, 1/2 to 1 mile or so.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mark sometimes it's better to let a sleeping dog lie brother. I've been down road with Libbies (open minded people, as they like to call themselves) and they always throw the Bible back in your face. Even when they don't have a clue what lies within!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

don't think so. I think if on AT if 76% said they were opposed, you would be sitting here with a different tune.
Then you would be wrong. I have been a supporter for about 3 years since I realized that recurves/longbows (my bow of choice) are hardly a distant cousin to a modern compound while compounds and crossbows are brothers. And that crossbows are in fact archery equipment and have been so for 2400 years. This was far before any poll on AT that I ever saw.

And Rev - it would be way past foolish to think you have any idea of what my or anyones politic's are based on crossbow support for the bow season.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never cared much for a xbow until my grandpa got a special permit to use one here in WV due to his bum shoulder. There is no real advantage to a xbow over a compound. They don't extend the ethical kill range. They are definetly not quieter then a compound, and if they get more people hunting then that is a good thing.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

Old 07-10-2010, 06:22 PM
bigcountry

Well, I don't think it was 2007. I don't think I was married then. I got married again in 2006. I am not sure, thought it was a long time ago.

Originally Posted by brucelanthier
That was in early 2007, maybe 3 1/2 years ago. I may have been relating a day I saw more hunters than usual but even in a case like that I am talking about 10 or so hunters on 800 acres. Once everyone leaves the parking lot you won't see them again.

Maybe it is that crowded up north where you hunt but it just isn't like that down here. If you ever wanted to make the drive, maybe in the morning for an afternoon hunt, come on down. I can show you some pretty decent spots. It usually takes some hiking to them though, 1/2 to 1 mile or so.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:27 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Then you would be wrong. I have been a supporter for about 3 years since I realized that recurves/longbows (my bow of choice) are hardly a distant cousin to a modern compound while compounds and crossbows are brothers. And that crossbows are in fact archery equipment and have been so for 2400 years. This was far before any poll on AT that I ever saw.
Then why did you bring up an interenet poll? Makes no sense.

I bet 75% of germany in 1940 thought it was ok to gas millions of jews. Doesn't mean I think so. And I don't. Sometimes Steve, its best not to play follow the leader like you do following polls. You did post it.

And those crossbows you mention had a distinct difference. A critical one. They could not be held at tension for long at all. All shots had to be made immediately. I am sure you don't understand that critical difference, but trust me, it matters. Make it a law that a crossbow can't be held at full draw but only be drawn right before a shot, and see how many people use em.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make it a law that a crossbow can't be held at full draw but only be drawn right before a shot, and see how many people use em.
While you are at it why don't you push that all gun hunters must leave the gun at the base of the tree unloaded until they are ready to shoot. That way they must pull the gun up and load it before shooting. Would that level the field for you so that everyone would have to make it harder to kill a deer?

How often do you get busted pulling back you bow? I almost never get busted. I would say it takes as much movement to raise a xbow as it does pull back a bow so whats the big deal. Have you ever felt how heavy xbows are? I would hate to hold one up very long and wait on a shot. Only if you had a rail to put it on would it be any easier.

The point you still stuggle with is that it doesnt have to be the exact same challenge for everyone. Thats why some shoot only trophy deer while some shoot anything. Should everyone have to hold out for the same quality animal? Or should it be the persons choice what challenge is right for themselves?
Old 07-11-2010, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I don't think it was 2007. I don't think I was married then. I got married again in 2006. I am not sure, thought it was a long time ago.
Definitely 2007. I was asked for a critique of the class and sent one in May of 2007. Still have it with the date and reply .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.