Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bow?

Old 05-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Spike

Default New Bow?

Hey guys, I've recently started shooting. I've been using a PSE Nova but I don't like it. What would you guys recommend for me?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Spike

it all depends on what you want to spend. we can sit here all say and throw out different bows that we think are good ones. you need to figure out how much you want to spend on one and go shoot every bow that might be a possiblity and pick the one that shoots and feels the best for you. that being said, you might want to check into the mission series by mathews or the hoyt hawk series bows. both are good bows at reasonable prices
Old 05-14-2010, 04:24 AM
Spike

Thanks ryan. Money isn't a problem. As long as it isn't too much, like over $1500. I do like Hoyt bows.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

For 1500 you can look at most any bow out there. Go try a few of the new ones out there at a dealer and see what feels good to you. I'm sure you will find one you like better than your Nova.
What don't you like about the Nova and maybe we could steer you in the right direction
Old 05-14-2010, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best thing you can do is go to a good pro shop that deals in several different line and shoot everything you can get your hand on. At some point, you will shoot one or two that will make you drool and at that point you will have a decision to make. Good luck in your search.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it's Hoyt you like than I would take a look at the Carbon Matrix.... that baby is absolutely incredible!!! The best feeling bow Hoyt has ever manufactured. The only reason that baby isn't dominating the industry on sales is because of it's $1,300 price tag. Man, it is awesome!!! You can also looks at the Maxxis but in my opinion there are several different bows from other manufacturers that feel and shoot better than it.

Obviously, you should make a trip to a couple Pro Shops and shoot as many different bows as you can and you will find a couple that just stand out in your hands. I would look at the Hoyts mentioned abaove and also consider the Mathews Z7 and the BowTech Destroyer. Also, if you have an Elite or Strother dealer near you you will want to take a look at them as well.

I looked at and shot dozens of different 2010 bows before deciding on the Mathews Z7 based on it's combo of smoothness, speed and ultra steady in-the-hand feel.

Good luck and good shootin'
Old 05-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

I've shot a couple different brands of bows and my absolute favorite, hands down, is the bowtech guardian. mine shoots so damn smooth, quiet, and fast with little to no vibration!
Old 05-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Last Answer

What bow you should buy and use?

As a newbie, what don't you like about the PSE Nova?