Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Real eye opener

Old 04-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Real eye opener

Well yesterday I met up with a group of my Fellow British Bowhunter Buddies , Gary , Jon Mark and Martyn ( 2 of which are coming to Colorado with myself this Fall ) for a days Arrow flinging and piss taking at the Bowhunting Simulator and boy oh boy did it make me realise what a challenge going Traditional was .

I was the only Trad shooter to go and I was hit with the reality of arrow speed difference between Compound and Longbow , I was up against a PSE Bowmadness , Vendetta and Bowtech General , I had forgoten just how much faster a compound actually is . The banter never stopped form the moment we started till we went home 4hours later . Gary commented at 1 point that he could run down the range and catch my arrow before it hit the target ..... Ba$!ard LOL .

I held my own against them and made some great shots , but also made a couple of bad releases . In all it was a great day and came back realising what a challenge I have taken on by going Trad for my Bowhunting , but also realise that I'm a little better than I gave myself credit for and I am 100% confident that if everything falls into place this September , there will be Elk steak in camp again this year .

Just thought i would share .
Old 04-18-2010, 01:16 PM
bigcountry

I like the contrast myself. Makes me realize how silly I was for years keeping up with speed advertising campaigns. I shot a doe this year at 20 yards with 170fps 550gr arrow and completely penetrated thru a lung, liver and part of the stomach coming out the back in front of the back leg.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

Yep speed isn't everything. I watched a hunting show 6 months ago and a guy on there was shooting a traditional bow he made, arrows he made, and stone broad heads that he also made.

Watched him take a caribou if I remember correctly. The guide that dropped him off couldn't believe what he was using and had serious doubts of him being successful.

Was pretty neat.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good post Dave!! Isn't speed everything?? Lol!!! Can't wait to do some hunting and shooting with you come September!!
Old 04-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steve mate , the feeling is mutual , cannot wait to meet the you Buddy . Its gonna be one heck of a trip and speed , schmeed who needs it LOL . Nothing matches a well placed arrow with a good broadhead