Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How old do you guys think this buck is? >

How old do you guys think this buck is?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How old do you guys think this buck is?

Old 04-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fatfreddy
I would say he was 2.5 years old. He looks like he has about an 17 inch inside spread and I would guess he weighed around 150.
dont think 17....maybe 13-15 if that. how bout those measurements there bud?
Old 04-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

o yeah ..i agree...way immature...2 years old er so. definitely dont be ashamed bout this guy. all the hard werk speaks fer its self. its a location thing..if ya aint there, then ya dont know.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with cornfed and Jpike. Not much swelling in the neck area. Slim chest, doesn't have that big bulky head and nose. Looks to me like a good 2 1/2 year old buck.

Congrats!!

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
LOL! Some of you guys crack me up.... 3 or 4 year old buck.... are you kidding ?!?

No way, clearly a 2 1/2 year old immature buck. You can tell by the smallish undeveloped body and facial features. Also the overall lack of mass and small smooth bases are almost dead give aways that the animal is nowhere near maturity.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
LOL! Some of you guys crack me up.... 3 or 4 year old buck.... are you kidding ?!?

No way, clearly a 2 1/2 year old immature buck. You can tell by the smallish undeveloped body and facial features. Also the overall lack of mass and small smooth bases are almost dead give aways that the animal is nowhere near maturity.
Nice, way to make the guy feel bad about his deer. Anyway to the op, i agree with everybody else, thats a 2.5 year old deer but it shouldnt matter, as long as your happy with it, thats all that matters.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

doesnt sound like he is sayin its a bad dear...just who-ever mighta guessed 3-4 years old might be plain nutz..or crazy to assume that....

maybe

Originally Posted by MOhunter46
Nice, way to make the guy feel bad about his deer. Anyway to the op, i agree with everybody else, thats a 2.5 year old deer but it shouldnt matter, as long as your happy with it, thats all that matters.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

That depends on the area your hunting,Nutrition genetics etc,etc!!Based on the pics,Coming from good genetics and plenty of nutrition in the area u harvested this buck.I would have to say 2.5 yrs,based on body size and antler width not going past ears.& how thick base of antlers are.
Either way congradulations,Nice deer..
Old 04-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

that buck is 2 1/2
Old 04-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

In all honesty, it's tough for anyone to age a deer simply by a picture.

Charles Alsheimer did a test on his land and had whitetail experts/biologists age his deer he had fenced in and they were wrong more than they were right. I believe in the article they had some deer that they guessed 3 1/2 and they were 7 1/2 and some that were 7 1/2 and were guessed at 3 1/2. That's how far experts/biologists were off on aging deer.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

I will say a great 2.5 year old,