Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Want to try a new arrow.. any suggestions? >

Want to try a new arrow.. any suggestions?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Want to try a new arrow.. any suggestions?

Old 03-23-2010, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Want to try a new arrow.. any suggestions?

Been shooting the Carbon Express Maximas ever since I switched from aluminum shafts. Nothing in the world wrong with them. Would just like to see what else is out there but kinda scared to take the leap. Just wondering what other shafts are comparable. Price is not so much an issue but something cheaper is always nice. Current set-up is 68 lbs. 28 inch DL shooting a CX 350 with 100 grain BH. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:31 AM
bigcountry

Carbon Tech Whitetails
Easton ACC

Love em both.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I switched to ACCs about 6 months ago having shot GT and Carbon Express extensively. Their straightness and spine consistency are top notch. Their weight (9.5 grain per inch) helps to reduce noise and increase penetration.

I used PDP inserts with a small (20 grain) weight to bring my FOC right to 12%
http://www.pdparchery.com/

ACC's are very fine shooting arrows.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

Try the easton axis ST full metal jackets run about 65$ i used to shoot maximas and i love them but i like the newer ST (slimtech) design on the eastons.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

I just picked up Beemans Bone Collector edition and i love them.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

What size ACC would be right for my setup?? I only knew to shoot the 350 grain CX because of the scale they had based off of DL and DW
Old 03-23-2010, 06:42 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by BvrHunter
What size ACC would be right for my setup?? I only knew to shoot the 350 grain CX because of the scale they had based off of DL and DW
You want the .340" spined ACC's. If it was me I would cut em to 30" to start, tune for the bow, and cut down if needed. ACC's are expensive and its easy to cut arrows but you can't put it back. bad news is you will lose the inserts.

I believe 28" is going to be stiff for 28" draw. Would be fine for 29.5" DL.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
You want the .340" spined ACC's. If it was me I would cut em to 30" to start, tune for the bow, and cut down if needed. ACC's are expensive and its easy to cut arrows but you can't put it back. bad news is you will lose the inserts.

I believe 28" is going to be stiff for 28" draw. Would be fine for 29.5" DL.
Thanks BC, when you cut to length are you including the nock?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:19 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by BvrHunter
Thanks BC, when you cut to length are you including the nock?
Yes, inside of nock to the end of the arrow without fieldtip

Old 03-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't need to lose the points if cutting ACC's down. Just install the inserts with hot melt glue same as you would with aluminum arrows. Then all you need to do is cut the arrows down, heat up the end of the piece you cut off and reuse the inserts.

If you are cutting a short piece, shorter than the insert you can apply heat to the point. Take it easy here as you don't want the shaft getting too hot. Apply enough heat to the point that you can grab the point with a pliers and pull the insert out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.