Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Want to try a new arrow.. any suggestions? >

Want to try a new arrow.. any suggestions?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Want to try a new arrow.. any suggestions?

Old 03-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Take it easy here as you don't want the shaft getting too hot. Apply enough heat to the point that you can grab the point with a pliers and pull the insert out.
Everything BGfisher is suggesting has worked great for me. When I remove an insert, I heat an un-installed point for 6 seconds with a propane torch and then screw it in a few turns and pull hard. The insert will come out immediately without heating up the shaft.

I cut my last set of ACC's long (as suggested), then used the tuning method of choice (broadhead in my case). After tuning vertical with the rest/nock point, I left the rest centered and trimmed the shaft 0.5 to 1.0 inch each time until horizontally tuned. The shaft should present 'weak' indications initially but each reduction in shaft length will stiffen dynamic spine.

You can polish off the tune with some very small horizontal rest adjustments.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

The .340 spined ACC's are designated 3-60. The prohunters might be different but I haven't tried them yet.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Awesome thanks for the info. I was looking at the ST Axis Nano Carbon online just alittle while ago. Seems Easton makes alot of the same/but differrent shafts. Hard to find the real diffference in alot of them. Marketing scheme??? Is there really a difference in the ST axis nano and the axis FMJ??
Old 03-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

Hmm after doing alot of research online and on this website in past threads I'm debating on even changing at all. The ST Axis nano's seem nice, basspro as a dozen for $100 bare shaft vrs. $80 for half a dozen CX maxima 3d select's which is what I have been shooting.

$100 for 12 ST Easton Axis nano

$80 for 6 3d select CX maxima's

What would you do???
Old 03-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BvrHunter
Hmm after doing alot of research online and on this website in past threads I'm debating on even changing at all. The ST Axis nano's seem nice, basspro as a dozen for $100 bare shaft vrs. $80 for half a dozen CX maxima 3d select's which is what I have been shooting.

$100 for 12 ST Easton Axis nano

$80 for 6 3d select CX maxima's

What would you do???
Neither I would look into Easton FMJ's or Easton ACC's.

If I am reading that right 1doz CX Maximas would cost you roughly $140-155...correct?
The FMJ's will run you roughly $120-135 a dozen and ACC's would put you in the same price range as you are with the Maximas.

I have never shot the Easton Axis Nano's or the CX Maximas but from what I have heard about both, they are both great arrows. Id say the price difference would make the choice for me.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Spike

The Easton Nano is a pure carbon arrow with some sort of nano tube technology. The FMJ is an aluminum wrapped carbon.

You cant go wrong either way. I use the Nano's and love them. I originally wanted to go with the FMJ's but they were a bit heavier and I thought they would slow my bow down a little bit more then I wanted, so I went with the Nanos.

Both arrows are super tough, and penetrate extremely well.