Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Good/Best archery target under $50??? >

Good/Best archery target under $50???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Good/Best archery target under $50???

Old 03-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Good/Best archery target under $50???

looking to buy a field point target today sometime for under $50 to start shooting at. its finally nice outside and i want to start practicing!! i am thinking about a "Morrell Yellow Jacket Field Point Target", any suggestions?!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

Kwaldeier
You want to go to your local grocery store and ask for a 50lb potatoe cloth bag. Fill it with unwanted clothing and spray paint five spots on it and you'll have the best target that'll last you for years. I shoot twice a week and have been for 18 years and only have worn one out. The nice thing is, it only takes one finger to remove your arrows. It's light and very moveable .We take one on all our week long hunts for practice. Try it ,can't beat the price . Please don't shoot broadheads into it
Rocky
Old 03-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

does it harm your arrows any to shoot into it??
Old 03-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

I just bought a new target myself several weeks ago. Was looking at some bags in the $50 range to practice on. The Yellow Jacket field tip was one, the Yellow Jacket crossbow field tip bag (buddy might stop by and shoot his some) and the Micheal Waddells Bone Collector field point target which was a few bucks more. $55 I think.

I went with the bone collector one and it seems to be holding up pretty good. On average the arrows are going in 6 to 8 inches. Got about 200 shots on just one side and holding up nicely. The arrows pull out silly stupid easy. Only bad things are the carry handle is a joke and tends to dig into your hand when you move it. The bag weighs almost 30lbs and when I am shooting it out at 40 and 50 yards I dread carrying it back to put it away.

Told the wife I was going to buy our son a radio flyer wagon and use it to move my target.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Haven't ruined an arrow yet and another great feature is the arrow only sticks in about 6 inches ,all my buddy's have them now ,trouble up here in Alberta Canada,the grocery stores don't pack the spuds in them any more. Might have a problem locating one. Depends if they still use them or not. I've yet to get a pass through on any arrow shot at it or an arrow to get to the fletchings. Although I did get a pass through while trying a broadhead. DAh!!!!! Good thing I was shooting into a sand hill not the back yard.
Rocky
Old 03-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by youngfart
Kwaldeier
You want to go to your local grocery store and ask for a 50lb potatoe cloth bag. Fill it with unwanted clothing and spray paint five spots on it and you'll have the best target that'll last you for years. I shoot twice a week and have been for 18 years and only have worn one out. The nice thing is, it only takes one finger to remove your arrows. It's light and very moveable .We take one on all our week long hunts for practice. Try it ,can't beat the price . Please don't shoot broadheads into it
Rocky
I have read people making these and waiting on a buddy to get me some grain sacks from the farm he works on and make a couple to have at different yardages. Just be sure to cut and remove all zippers and buttons on the clothes and shoot away. Fluff as needed to redistribute the clothing.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

I actually won a yellow jacket field-point target last september and absolutely love it.. The cost of those are $45, i honestly don't think you can beat that for the cost.. They are big, 2-finger arrow removal, and seem to be holding up awesome! I probably shooting 3-4/daily per week.. On average that bag has seen close to 5000 arrow so far and you can hardly tell I've even shot into it..
Old 03-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well your gonna need to shoot bh's at some point and time. So if i were you id just spend a little extra money and buy a reinhart. I have an 18 in 1 for bh's and i like it a lot. But now i believe now they have a block target thats made of the same material as the 18 in 1. So if you have a little extra money id buy one of those.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Homemade Archery Target

Don't use $800 bows; ten dollar arrows; and expensive targets.

HOMEMADE ARCHERY TARGET
Since the 90's I get one 4' x 8' foam insulation board from the building supply store. (I measure, mark it, cut it, into 2' x 2' sheets and put them in the trunk, outside the store. Good for the non-pickup truck user)

I use four 2' x 2' cut up sheets(depends on the speed of your bow); put folded newspaper in between to add support and thickness; tape the ends with masking tape. (two targets out of each 4' x 8' foam insulation sheet)

I haven't priced it lately, but it came to less than $7 a target.

After using awhile I will rotate the boards in the target and thereby rotate the holes. And replace the old folded newspaper put between the 2' x 2' foam sheets. You have to do a bit of practice shooting to go through $50.

You'll find those foam insulation boards near the fiber insulation rolls of the big box building supply stores.

I forgot. For "targets", I use sticky florescent round stickers from a home office supply store. Instead of using a large target, sometimes expensive, I'll stick on a few small stickers, depending on the distance.
(I think they usually use them on file folders in an office. You don't need many. They seem to last forever. The small sticky dots are good for concentration, I find. (For the rifle range, I take half a clear white sheet with one or a couple of sticky dots.

I do believe in cheapness and less overhead.

Last edited by Valentine; 03-23-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by diamondrack
I actually won a yellow jacket field-point target last september and absolutely love it.. The cost of those are $45, i honestly don't think you can beat that for the cost.. They are big, 2-finger arrow removal, and seem to be holding up awesome! I probably shooting 3-4/daily per week.. On average that bag has seen close to 5000 arrow so far and you can hardly tell I've even shot into it..
I have the same target as well. It works great. Once i wear out one side (which I think will be a while) I will just spin it around and use the other side.