Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Admiral riser or limb bolt cutting threads? >

Admiral riser or limb bolt cutting threads?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Admiral riser or limb bolt cutting threads?

Old 03-13-2010, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Admiral riser or limb bolt cutting threads?

Has anyone else had any problems with the riser on their bowtech admiral? They are supposed to have self pressing bow limbs, which I don't even use but... while adjusting the lbs last year I could feel the limb bolt cutting thread in the limb. Thought maybe left over shavings so I took it apart and blew it out, greased and put back togeather. Seemed ok until I went to re adjust this fall and I could feel it again, got really tight so I left it alone and hunted. Now that my bowhunting is done I might take it to the shop.. But the bow was tuned by crackers when I was up that way hunting and I just hate to take everything off and have to do it all over again.. So I was curious if anyone else has had this problem and what the solution was, or what bowtech did to help..

Thanks
Old 03-13-2010, 09:47 AM
bigcountry

I have ignored it in the past. Are you saying when tighten down the limb bolts into the riser, you can feel roughness? Not sure if I should ignore it. Hopefully the bowtech guys will chime in. But probably you are going to get, "never had trouble with mine".

Old 03-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya, started out as roughness.. Now it's getting tight to even turn.. Not cross threaded either.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had trouble with mine (had to satisfy BC) however it definately sounds as though something is amiss. I suggest you take it to an Authorized Dealer and have them check it out to see if the threads are stripped, perhaps they weren't cut properly in the first place.

I think the best way to tell would be to take the limb assembly off, then, without a limb pocket (for lack of a better term) run a bolt down the threads to see if it wobbles more than normal. This should tell if the threads are tight or not.

I would also check the bolt/bolts for any burrs that may have caused the problem. After all, a grade 8 bolt would quickly cut its way through 6061 T6 aluminum.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Never had trouble with mine either! There you go BC

Honestly though Pat gives Great advice as usual. I'd get it checked out!

Dan
Old 03-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

It could be bad threads in the riser.

More likely it could also be a lack of high pressure grease down near the bottom of the threads. When you thread a bolt that deep the grease tends to be removed from the bolt by the time it is screwed all the way down. Even on standard length limb bolts this can happen. I have had to fix a pile of bows with this problem. The fix was a Q-Tip or brush to pack grease in the risers threads all the way down to the bottom of the hole.

BTW, I have never had this problem with any of my Bowtechs either.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:05 PM
bigcountry

I am going to give you bowtech guys some free advise. Thats right, I am not even going to charge you. I am regular joe shmoe consumer. Nothing special, just the guy that puts food on the table for employees of bowtech. It doesn't help any consumer to see "I never had any trouble with mine". What would help us customer base is, "I never had any trouble out of mine, but I have heard this or that". Pat kinda went there. And I do appreciate it Pat, you as always are helpful. We would continue to be loyal. And appreciative. I have gotten several PM's for instance where someone posted a question here, and all he got was "no trouble with my bow", but said so and so emailed me said they have seen this or that. All I can think of is, why didn't that tell us on the open forum so we all could be helped????

BB, gave some awesome advise. He's actually contributing and I don't believe is part of the "free bows every year club". Thanks Bigbulls, your the man. I will try that.

This is what this forum needs more of. Less political spin and more help. Thats if you want to help the bowtech corporation. But if you want to isolate yourself more and more from the customer base, by all means, carry on.