Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bows for new hunters? >

Bows for new hunters?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bows for new hunters?

Old 02-28-2010, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bows for new hunters?

My daughter and son-in-law will start hunting this fall and I offered to help with the bow selection. He is 29" and she 27". The first thing I noticed was that many of the faster bows had real short "valleys" and if these new shooters relaxed at all they were pulled forward away from the rear "wall". I hope I described this well. Are there any decent bows out there that are not so touchy and would a more relaxed beginner shooting style? Thanks...
Old 02-28-2010, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

First be sure and get them a weight they can handle easily. It is hard to beat shooting the bow themselves and seeing how they handle it. Diamond has some Great starter bows and are usually accessible in most places. BowTech Soldier & Sniper are good starter bows as well.

Other bows you might want to take a look at are PSE & Bear. IMO the Diamond Razors Edge is one of the best starter bows because of the extreme adjustability in both draw length and draw weight. All at a price that is well within most peoples budgets.

Dan
Old 02-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Spike

I second the Diamond razor edge. An excellent starter bow at a good price.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Spike

The first thing to do is find a good archery shop and shoot a bow that feels comfortable. remember the more brace height the more forgiving. Just because a bow has a price tag thats says 700.00 dosen't mean it will just the best for them
Old 03-01-2010, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What weight training schedule are they on

In today's world, I'd say 99.9% of newbies are unfit to shoot a compound bow. For many, it's a waste of money, if you can't or won't do any weight training.

I may overestimate, but there is some truth in how to enjoy archery. Personally, I've used five pound weights to build up and keep my arm and shoulder strength.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Banned

I personally prefer that short valley, forces you to be more consistent with your anchor point by pulling into the back of the wall the same each time. But it might not be the best for a beginner.

Id also agree with Valentine that most brand new bow hunters arent fit to be using the bows on the poundages that they are. KInda comical to see them making faces as they pull them back or take the bow up in the air and down to gain leverage... Even though todays bows are easier to pull than the hard hatchet cams of the early 90's...

I shoot 80+ lbs currently, but have shot for many years. Have shot bows for hunting as high as 100+. But I also work out avidly and can b.p. over 400 lb. so strength isnt exactly an issue.