Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
getting fit for archery. >

getting fit for archery.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

getting fit for archery.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

Question getting fit for archery.

What is the best exercise to get ready for archery season. (pullin back the bow with ease)
Old 02-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Spike

Hit the gym and work back and shoulders.

Especially back... Pulldowns, Bent over rows, T bar rows, Dumbell rows, any rowing exercise, and of course chin ups.

Shoulders... presses and lateral raises
Old 02-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best is to shoot your bow year round. It's not all about pulling the bow either. That's the easy part. You have to train the brain as well because once you have the bow at full draw it's 90% a mental game.

Of course the gym doesn't hurt anything either. It takes more than arm, shoulder, and back muscles to be able to shoot effectively. It's just like putting up a building. You start with a sound foundation and for shooting that means starting from the bottom and working your way up.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher
The best is to shoot your bow year round. It's not all about pulling the bow either. That's the easy part. You have to train the brain as well because once you have the bow at full draw it's 90% a mental game.

Of course the gym doesn't hurt anything either. It takes more than arm, shoulder, and back muscles to be able to shoot effectively. It's just like putting up a building. You start with a sound foundation and for shooting that means starting from the bottom and working your way up.
Great post!!! I agree 100%, I know guys that are "monsters" in a weight room, but give them a bow, and it challenges muscles in a different way, and after shooting a bow 20-30x, they are struggling. It's much more about MUSCLE MEMORY, and specific muscle training than some specific "workout."
Old 02-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher
The best is to shoot your bow year round.
Exactly! Plus, shooting year round will make you a better shot. No matter how good a workout may be, it won't make you a better shot.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

Ok but I want to pull 65-70 pounds on my bow and I can do it once or twice but then im beat. I work out at least once a day and have been for a couple years, and I have a very strong upper body but I still struggle with the 65-70 poundage is there a exercise I can do to make the needed muscles stronger? Just strong enough that I can pull the bow back, then I will go out and throw some arrows to build up the rest of the needed strength. I just have never needed or worked the archer muscles before.
Thanks
Old 02-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you work out, you know that muscle failure is as far as you can go, and gives your muscles the most workout. Use the bow as your weight set... Use good drawing technique(high elbow) and allow the back muscles to do the work, not the shoulders... Most guys don't draw with their elbow in the best position. Do it and you will get stronger.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by drockw
If you work out, you know that muscle failure is as far as you can go, and gives your muscles the most workout. Use the bow as your weight set... Use good drawing technique(high elbow) and allow the back muscles to do the work, not the shoulders... Most guys don't draw with their elbow in the best position. Do it and you will get stronger.
Ok sweet!! thanks
Old 02-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hang a pulley on the wall and run a rope through it. Weights on one side and a handle like on a water ski rope on the other. Start light with your bow hand against the wall and draw the handle to your anchor point. You must simulate the draw to get the most out of it. Do reps of 12 and 3-5 sets every other day. I have had guys at the gym benching 400lbs having a tough time with my 70# bow.

Or shoot every other day 30-40 shots cranking up your bow every so often and that will help too.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

In a nut shell here is what I am 100% positive about your situation.

You bought a bow that has too much draw weight for you. Period!!!!! Now whether you chose this on your own or with the advice of another, you got too much bow.

This happens to a pretty large segment of people who bowhunt. They don't know any better and usually are younger people with a higher level of testosterone than us older guys. Don't feel too bad about it. It's almost the norm. Testosterone gets in our brain and jiggles our ego around, forcing us to throw common sense out the window.

Lack of experience is part of it, too. We THINK we are stronger than we really are. Bigger is better. More draw weight is better. 70# kills better than 60#, etc, etc, etc. Peer pressure, maybe?

Some might disagree with me, but I honestly think you should see about gettting lighter limbsfor your present bow or trade for another or whatever options your dealer might allow you. I think you should get a bow with a weight range 10# less than what you have now. In other words, if you have a 70#er then get 60#.

You can develop the muscles for drawing and holding a bow, but you have to be able to shoot the bow repetitively to do so. You should be able to draw and aim no less than 50 times before you start to feel some fatigue. That's how your muscles will develop memory which will eventually lead to more strength. However, you may never be able to shoot 70# so don't be ashamed of such. Archery or bowhunting is a sport of accuracy, not brute strength. At present you may be on your way to shoulder injuries which could ruin your archery career before it gets off the ground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.