Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Switching to feathers?? >

Switching to feathers??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Switching to feathers??

Old 02-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Switching to feathers??

I am thinking about trying feathers instead of the blazer vanes I currently use. If you have used feathers out of a new compound bow do you like them? I am shooting a Reezen at #64 lbs with a drop away rest and I am going to be using carbon arrows. Let me know if you think it is a good idea or not. I know they wont be near as durable as my blazer vanes but I know a lot of people that really like using feathers and just wanted your input also. Thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 01:33 AM
Fork Horn

I am not a fan of feathers on compound bows. It seems that just a little bit of moisture and they start messing up on you. Maybe you should try some larger vanes first before you go switching to feathers.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:25 AM
Fork Horn

I love my feathers. It's worth a try as you could always switch back.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I never went to vanes, have shot feathers since I started in the 60s...Spray with ScotchGard to help repel moisture, if it starts raining I put an extra face mask ove the feathers to help repel...

I don't like to bow hunt in the rain anyway, it makes tracking much harder...
Old 02-18-2010, 03:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I experiment with many different types of fletchings every summer including Blazers, QS's, etc.

I always go back to feathers. There is nothing that guides an arrow as effectively, or as forgiving as feathers, plus you boost your FOC at the same time.

There are advantages and disadvantages to everything, but IMHO the advantage of feathers Far out weigh any disadvantage.

Dan
Old 02-18-2010, 04:01 AM
Fork Horn

I have to agree with Dan here, I love shooting with feathers, moisture has never been a problem, and they are very forgiving. They are not as durable as vanes, but think it is worth the extra effort.

Rick
Old 02-18-2010, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd like to add that even wet feathers still steer well. I've gone as far as to soak feather fletched arrows in water before shooting fixed blade heads just to see how they worked. They worked just fine.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd like to add that even wet feathers still steer well. I've gone as far as to soak feather fletched arrows in water before shooting fixed blade heads just to see how they worked. They worked just fine.
I agree. I think the "wet feather" argument is an old wives tale. If I hunt in the rain, I'm usually under a tree umbrella. In such weather, though, I limit my shots to "slam-dunks".

I also agree that the advantages far outweigh the negatives (from any bow).
Old 02-18-2010, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will not find anything better to steer fixed blades, period. Also they can take quite a beating and still fly good. And bloody feathers just look so cool.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

What brands of feathers do you guys use and also how long? I think im gonna order some here in the next few days and just wanted some input on brands and size. Thanks again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.