Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Deer Management question >

Deer Management question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Management question

Old 02-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kickin_buck
What we do on our leases is say, if you shoot it (meaning buck), then you must mount it. We all have agreed about which taxidermist to use and he charges $450, so that at least makes a guy think before he pulls the trigger.

I had a "buddy" in 2008 kill a small 1 1/2 old 5 pointer. He said he was not going to get it mounted and he knew the rule. I did not get upset, I just told him he hunted his last day on any of these properties if he did not mount it. He did not mount it and while we still hang out and shoot together, he has not spent a single minute in any of our stands since then.
Good Idea!

I'd take more Does though.

Dan
Old 02-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bloodsaw
LMAO you cannot judge doe to buck ratio in one sitting, count does, and bucks seen all year, total it at the end of hunting season then get your ratio, and its still gonna be heavy on the doe side because of button heads you counted as does maybe because you cant identify then correctly sometimes or u only got a glimpse of an un-antlered deer.

and and i just now realized that you said Does will push the bucks out
Blood iI was going by the number of deer he saw at that one sitting,and yes if I'm sitting with a good pair of binocs then I can most likely tell the difference between a bb and a doe and if he saw 21 doe at one sitting then I would bet the ratio is a little higher than 7 to 1 and yes does will push young bucks out of an area or force them to go elsewhere for a sutible food and cover.All I know is that if I'm seeing a lot of does I'm not seeing many bucks!
Old 02-13-2010, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by treboryerf
I say with only 200 acres and a 5 yr lease you need to limit the number of bucks to one per hunter and to greatly thin down the doe numbers,I believe you said the first time you hunted your stand you saw 21 does and 3 bucks,thats a 7 to 1 ratio ,that's your problem right there and thats just the does you saw.Thin the does and limit the bucks then reevaluate in 3 years and see where your at with your buck numbers and size according to sightings,trail cams ,ect.You will see more bucks if you get rid of some of those does,does will push the bucks out.
Yes, but the next day I saw 2 more different bucks including the areas dominate buck. Let's also consider if the dominate buck is there how many lesser bucks stay their distance and I did not see them.

Throughout the season(s) I was seeing about and 1.5 to 2 does to every buck. I would guess that that is about right... would you?