Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Help me choose a new bow >

Help me choose a new bow

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me choose a new bow

Old 01-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help me choose a new bow

I am getting a good tax refund this year, and it looks like I may do OK at bonus time (March), so I causally said to the wife that I may take some of my bonus money and buy a new bow....and she said why not!!!!

I currently have an old PSE Stingray that I bought second hand 2 years ago when I started bowhunting. The bow has served me well, getting me 2 small bucks. It is, however, a bit heavy, a little loud and just not the latest:-)

I am looking to spend around $800 (give or take a couple hundred...told wife I would spend $600). I am RH'd. I would want to set the bow around 65 lbs, with a 29 inch draw. I will be hunting in tree stands.

I am planning to get to a Mathews dealer to try out the Z7, and get to a Bowtech dealer to try out the Destroyer 340 and Admiral.

What would you all suggest?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2010, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is absolutely No substitute for going and shooting several models. Some of my favorite models I have shot in the last year would be the BowTech Destroyer, BowTech Captain, Hoyt AlphaMax, and Mathews Z7.

Good Luck!!

Dan
Old 01-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

I have a new 09 Captain, if you shoot it and want a DEAL let me know, PM me.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

It sounds like your on the right path but just a little in-experienced with the archery world.. First, You shouldn't have someone else try and pick a bow for you.. There is enough info out there on the internet/forums/and pro shops to gear you toward a quality bow that may fit you.. BUT, you should be shooting many bows and doing your own research on what YOU feel is the best for you... If you planning on spending around $800--there are many fantastic bows out there for around that and even cheeper.. The Bowtech is going to run you around $900 plus another $50 or so in tax ($950ish out the door).. The Mathews Z7 in going to run around $800 plus another $40 or so in tax ($840ish)..These prices are naked and with decent accessory will run another $150-$250 on top... I have shot around 50 bows this fall/winter and I liked the Bowtech Destroyer 340 the best and the Mathews Z7 was a close second.. Yes, these two bows have got a lot of talk and have great reviews BUT you still need to go out and shoot different bows of different brand and find what works and fits you the best... The last thing you want to do is listen to someone tell you how great a bow is and go out and buy that bow when their could be a better fit for you..
Old 01-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

You can save some money if you look at some of the new 09 models. They have some good discounts on them. My wife bought me a new sealed in the box 09 Diamond Marquis last week(it was my birthday ) for $350 at a small shop and there selling for $650-$700 at the big stores. You just have to look around alittle at a few different shops. Just make sure you try out more than one brand and buy the bow you like best. They all make some nice bows. Noone else has to shoot it and don't let a pushy salesman sell you a bow you are not comfortable with.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MeanV2
There is absolutely No substitute for going and shooting several models. Some of my favorite models I have shot in the last year would be the BowTech Destroyer, BowTech Captain, Hoyt AlphaMax, and Mathews Z7.

Good Luck!!

Dan
Nobody on here can tell you which bow is right for you. It is such a feel thing. While I can tell you bows that I have shot that "I" liked, you may hate all of them. The best thing to do is go to a pro shop that carries several lines. Tell the guys how much you are looking to spend and then shoot EVERYTHING in your price range. When you shoot that one bow that makes you go WOW, you will then have found "your" bow.

Have fun, playing with all the bows is the best part of buying a new bow.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sniggle

I am planning to get to a Mathews dealer to try out the Z7, and get to a Bowtech dealer to try out the Destroyer 340 and Admiral.

What would you all suggest?

Thanks
The 2 bows you mentioned above would also be the top couple bows I'd check out.... I'd also add the Hoyt Maxxis to that list as well. Shoot 'em all and you'll find the one that stands out in your hand the best.

Personally, I chose the Z7 and it's already quickly become my favorite rig! Amazing shooting experience!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

I chose.......I am now the owner of a Hoyt Maxxis 31 in flat black. I shot the Hoyt Maxxis, Mathews Z7 and Bowtech Admiral, and for me the Hoyt had a slight advantage in draw and balance, although all three bows were excellent.

I bought it off Ebay.....not my smartest decision but it did save me a couple hundred bucks. It is a custom shop bow, 55-65 lbs (max 66 lbs). 66 Lbs is actually what I wanted, so I just cranked it down and I am good to go. I have played with it some in my basement, and I think the deer will rue this day next hunting season.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

i shoot a fred bear truth I and i love it. i have shot the truth II and there is no difference except the truth II has string dampeners on the riser
Old 02-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Like someone said, you might try getting a good deal on a 09 model. I love my Hoyt Alphamax and the Maxxis doesn't seem to be much better. I bet you could snatch up a Alphamax at a decent price these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.