Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
tuning tips:get your broadhaeds to shoot like field tips >

tuning tips:get your broadhaeds to shoot like field tips

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tuning tips:get your broadhaeds to shoot like field tips

Old 01-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Spike

Do you have any Idea what foc has to do with arrows?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:42 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by blacktail4ever
Do you have any Idea what foc has to do with arrows?
Its only the most critical thing you could ever imagine.

Geesh. Whats wrong with these people blacktail?

No seriously, Russ and myself shoots over 20%.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Russ, how do ever expect to be a league shooter with 24%?
I dont, but it sure does pi$$ off the 3d guys when they have to pull my arrows
Old 01-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Its only the most critical thing you could ever imagine.

Geesh. Whats wrong with these people blacktail?

No seriously, Russ and myself shoots over 20%.
Most expert archers agree that an FOC value that is between 7 and 10 percent will produce the best compromise between stability and a flat trajectory. The American Society for Testing and Materials, in their specification for measuring balance point, state that a value of 9% is typical. But, they also state that the range can be as wide as 7% to 18% while still producing good arrow flight characteristics.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Spike

I am only here to offer my two cents.I have done alot of homework on getting my bow to perform at the top level it can.I get you want to make me look stupid but I am a little curious to your knowledge.I am not here to insult people and I can't help but to assume you must be involved in PETA.why else would you not want to have my post recognized
Old 01-14-2010, 12:53 PM
bigcountry

Most expert archers agree that an FOC value that is between 7 and 10 percent will produce the best compromise between stability and a flat trajectory. The American Society for Testing and Materials, in their specification for measuring balance point, state that a value of 9% is typical. But, they also state that the range can be as wide as 7% to 18% while still producing good arrow flight characteristics.
Dr. Ashby explains how to get max penetration and best guiding charateristics, more is better in this case.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...ubb=forum;f=24

Old 01-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Spike

are we after maximum pennitration or are we after accuracy in this post
Old 01-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Blacktail:

I'm not talking about myself.....but I'll offer a little advice.

When you're only capable of broken Chinese, don't go into Dragon Kim's Rest. and start speaking it. They speak the language, quite fluently, and they'll know you don't.

Having your arrow cut to legnth will efect nothing as far as tuning.
It'll certainly affect your ability to adjust your arrow length (longer),now, won't it? Unless you're willing to adjust draw length and/or tip weight to achieve optimal tune.....and you pre-cut your arrows, you've denied yourself a crucial tool.

I have done alot of homework on getting my bow to perform at the top level it can.
Honestly...this is commendable. But you're being (IMO) a little short-sighted in how one arrives, there. There is definitely more than one way to skin a cat (or tune a bow). There are NOT, however, truths that can be denied.

Last edited by GMMAT; 01-14-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MOTOWNHONKEY
Man, the guy is just trying to give a little free advice. I agree it doesn't seem to do much lining up blades with fletches but it is fun to tinker with anyways. No need to jump his nads like their some kind of gummie bear.
Agreed, there is no need to jump all over someone just trying to help others. Come on guys, we are all here just to enjoy and talk about hunting we dont need people naggin on each other like that.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:23 PM
bigcountry

are we after maximum pennitration or are we after accuracy in this post
Per usual, both.

People have different tools for different jobs. I myself am not a field archer, nor do I shoot my trad bows at 80 yards. Field trad archers look for different things than I do.

Most here are hunters, and as hunters quietness, stability, penetration all matter first and formost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.